Watashambles

Gilby Clarke

I don't think Gilby is HOF worthy but it was great to see him up there with the guys playing again. That seems like a fair compromise.

If anyone has a chance to go see Gilby playing a club show, take it. That guy is made for bar rock, puts on a terrific show and is a super cool, genuine guy to boot.

I don't know that Gilby is more deserving than Dizzy for HOF status, but i know Dizzy is NOT deserving.

I dislike Dizzy and think Gilby is pretty cool. Just stating facts here.[/b]

You dislike Dizzy because he is a muppet-douche.

You like Gilby just because he looks like you :CoolFace:

You can argue that Dizzy is a douchebag or that piano on GNR songs isn't "rock n' roll" all you want, but the fact is: Dizzy played on the UYIs and had a major contribution to the sound. His involvement signified a change in the band's signature sound and style. Whether or not this was detrimental to the band is entirely subjective. The albums sold extremely well, were well received, and Dizzy was a part of the sound.

That's the part I disagree with. As others have noted, the major "piano ballads" had Axl on keys. Dizzy's been a waste of fucking space for 20 years. I loved Billie Joe's backhand compliment to Dizzy during the HOF speech.

Gilby played in TSI and Live Era.

So basically he didn't write a single note with a single member of Guns n' Roses within Guns n' Roses... :shrugs2:

neither did Steven and Matt but they were inducted as well.

Gilby's contribution to Guns N' Roses was filling Izzy Stradlin's boots quite well. Didn't write shit or play on any seminal albums, but he did a good job as a live musician. He was a functioning member of the band at their peak, playing with them night after night on a massive world tour.

Unfortunately, this is the same contribution as DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot or Buckethead or any other revolving-door guitarist that has been in the band since the UYI days.

What Gilby did for the band is not to be diminished, but if he were to be inducted alongside the lineup that delivered Appetite for Destruction then it'd be a total joke. Even Baron Von Storm made a stronger contribution to the band than he did.

Gilby's awesome, but doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame with the "real" band.

Richard Fortus does not play on Chinese Democracy :max:

Ashba and Fortus does not play on Chinese Democracy, hence, they are playing covers, and covers of covers.

This band is not GNR in any way.

You're both wrong.

Richard Fortus plays guitar on FIVE Chinese Democracy tracks.

Chinese Democracy

Better

Street of Dreams

There Was a Time

Prostitute

Source? Chinese Vinyl.

yeah that claim had me scratching my head. i like gilby alot think hes a cool guy but no way in hell he should have been inducted

I don't think Gilby should have gotten in because Dizzy did.

I think the only reason Dizzy got in is because the RRHOF felt Matt should be inducted. Because of the timeframe Dizzy joined, if they put in Matt they felt Dizzy had to as well.

Dizzy only played on about 1/2 the UYI songs and they don't even include what are considered GN'R's "piano" songs (Nov. Rain, Estranged, Breakdown). His role on UYI is not more important than Shannon Hoon's.

The only songs off my head that you can really hear his distinct piano sound are Civil War and Pretty Tied Up - everything else he plays on is just to fatten out the sound really. Whereas Matt plays on almost all 30 tracks (approx. 3/5s of the GNR songs that got them into the HOF) and whether you like it or hate it, his drumming brought a distinct epic-y sound that helped define UYI.

IMO Gilby should have been inducted instead of Dizzy. No one cares about Dizzy.

For example on the local rock station a trivia question was asked:

Q: GN'R was inducted into the RRHOF this weekend name a member that did not show up?

A: Axl Rose

- Correct, I would have also accepted Izzy Stradlin.

No one cares or likes the guy. He is simply a sycophant and barely plays on the UYI's. I mean you brought up Shannon Hoon - Dizzy plays on one song more than Shannon does on the Illusion's.

It gives me a laugh when you watch the Dizzy alpine valley interview video when they ask him how do you think you will blend in with the boys....Total tool steal his award and give it to Gilby lol

You can argue that Dizzy is a douchebag or that piano on GNR songs isn't "rock n' roll" all you want, but the fact is: Dizzy played on the UYIs and had a major contribution to the sound. His involvement signified a change in the band's signature sound and style. Whether or not this was detrimental to the band is entirely subjective. The albums sold extremely well, were well received, and Dizzy was a part of the sound.

That's the part I disagree with. As others have noted, the major "piano ballads" had Axl on keys. Dizzy's been a waste of fucking space for 20 years. I loved Billie Joe's backhand compliment to Dizzy during the HOF speech.

Backhanded compliment? More like the same apathy we all show Dizzy. I mean even with the new band, pretty much all the members are bosses, but Dizzy still manages to suck.

I don't like dizzy.. He proved himself to be a spineless pussy when he didn't show to the rrhof ceremony.. At first in interviews he was all for it, then as soon as axl decides on not to go, he follows and claims that money was an issue..

Had axl shown up, I could guarantee you that dizzy would have been there.

Gilby, hmm.. He was a big part of gnr during the uyi tours.. He had big shoes to fill, and he did it well.. He's a great guy and I met him in 08 briefly.. He is a real genuine guy.. Respect to him for showing up to the rrhof to put on a great show with the other guys.. His presence on stage made a great difference - I've seen vr numerous times.. But having gilby on stage made it feel more closer to what gnr was.. Sounds stupid, but I hope there are some people out here who feel as I feel about this.

I don't like dizzy.. He proved himself to be a spineless pussy when he didn't show to the rrhof ceremony.. At first in interviews he was all for it, then as soon as axl decides on not to go, he follows and claims that money was an issue..

Gilby, hmm.. He was a big part of gnr during the uyi tours.. He had big shoes to fill, and he did it well.. He's a great guy and I met him in 08 briefly.. He is a real genuine guy.. Respect to him for showing up to the rrhof to put on a great show with the other guys.. His presence on stage made a great difference - I've seen vr numerous times.. But having gilby on stage made it feel more closer to what gnr was.. Sounds stupid, but I hope there are some people out here who feel as I feel about this.

I agree with you it was definitely right for him to be there and ye i know what you mean about that closeness and all that....I would sack Dizzy , Pitman & Bumblefoot ........Dizzy first

I don't think axl will ask him lol Clarke's Spaghetti lol

Clarke's Spaghetti :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Your not really from Whakatane are you? You just like the name of it didnt ya? Otherwise it's more like Clurk's Spughitti loul :rofl-lol:

Kiwis :rofl-lol:

I wish i was not from whakatane lol Flipping ozzy lol

You wish you weren't not from Whakatane? learn to speak English and use more than one vowel in your tork.

Edited by Johnny Drama