How to release CD2?

I know, I know. It's another CD2 thread. Well what the hell else are we going to talk about?

ANYWAY...I've been thinking about what would be the best and most economical way for Axl to put out the next "Chinese Democracy" album. Ron and the others seem to be not too keen on releasing another album that they're simply featured on, rather than one they wrote and comes from their hearts. As much as I can't wait to hear CD2, I honestly get where they're coming from.

However, I think it would literally be a sin to keep these songs locked up just for the sake of putting out a "fresher" album. So how do they do it, while keeping the door open to another upcoming album? Simple. Re-release Chinese Democracy as a double album, complete with a remix or two, and whatever other tracks were slated for the next CD era album. Not to mention, this would be a perfect opportunity for the band to incorporate the artwork and corrected lyrics that were intended for the initial release.

It could be marketed as "Chinese Democracy - The Ultimate Edition" or "Chinese Democracy - The Complete Set". This is, in my opinion, the best way to put out whatever else is finished, or has been remixed, from the Chinese Democray era.

If marketed correctly, with a killer new single or two, this could be a new beginning for Chinese Democracy, and would recharge and save the legacy it most definitely deserves.

Axl, if you're still browsing the forums, ya gotta admit...This would be pretty freaking cool! :thumbsup:

Edited by sofine11

There's no way in hell that Axl or UMG would go for such a concept. Not enough people would buy the re-release of the beer coaster just because it has bonus tracks. The concept you're thinking of should have been done with the initial release. If it ever gets released, it'll be on its own and not buried on an album that is old news.

Lets say they did what you are talking about. Guess what happens? Best Buy has a fire sale on that ton of copies rotting and it overshadows the actual re-release.

edit: regarding "a killer single or two", if he doesn't have at least one song that kicks major ass and can explode, just leave it all in the vault. I have no desire to hear this band's Coda.

Edited by MIA

You mean something like this?

2 CD + DVD Box Set

Includes:

-13 bonus audio tracks

-Behind the scenes "making of" documentary

-Track by Track video interview with Slash

-3 Live concert performances

-Video and "making of" for "By The Sword"

Plus

-12 page booklet

-Limited edition guitar pick

-Exclusive Fan photo mosaic poster

-And the original self-titled album

http://fanwall.slashonline.com/

You mean something like this?

2 CD + DVD Box Set

Includes:

-13 bonus audio tracks

-Behind the scenes "making of" documentary

-Track by Track video interview with Slash

-3 Live concert performances

-Video and "making of" for "By The Sword"

Plus

-12 page booklet

-Limited edition guitar pick

-Exclusive Fan photo mosaic poster

-And the original self-titled album

http://fanwall.slashonline.com/

Haha, exactly. That's pretty badass by the way, I hadn't heard about that til' now.

And it's funny, there's people saying that CD didn't sell well enough to reissue it. Slash's album didn't even go close to gold yet in the U.S. and he's still treating his fans to all this. Incredible.

And it's funny, there's people saying that CD didn't sell well enough to reissue it.

Even funnier is people thinking an album with half a million rotting copies in warehouses needs a reissue.

That Best Buy deal may have paid off financially but in all other ways it was a pooch screwing maneuver.

And it's funny, there's people saying that CD didn't sell well enough to reissue it.

Even funnier is people thinking an album with half a million rotting copies in warehouses needs a reissue.

That Best Buy deal may have paid off financially but in all other ways it was a pooch screwing maneuver.

Well, I see you describing the problem a whole lot, but offering no possible solutions. It's a way of consolidating the fact that Axl wanted to (and apparently had planned to at one point) re-issue CD with the corrected CD jackets, and also wanted to put out the next album at some point. Neither has happened. There's people on both sides of the fence who claim neither would be particularly profitable.

Yet there's definitely a market for Chinese Democracy, the next album, and Guns N' Roses. People would certainly buy it.

The problem with Chinese Democracy was that it SHIPPED platinum, but then Axl went MIA (no pun intended) and absolutely zero promotion followed. Nothing. And as a result, though it sold well, tons of copies were left on the shelves and remain there in many cases.

The solution? Don't fucking ship so many God damned copies!! If the re-issued double album is a success, it'll take off and meet those numbers on it's own merrit. This is very possible.

The reason I don't offer a solution is because there are no solutions. There is a massive surplus of copies of this album in existence. A re-release on any level just isn't feasible. Your idea is a good one especially for us hardcores that would like to hear those entire sessions but it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Even those supposed remixes being released with a CD re-release makes no sense.

If that Best Buy deal hadn't been done I would definitely be on board with this idea. As long as those Best Buy copies exist(and they're not going away), the label is unlikely to risk any new release with the name Chinese Democracy. CD is over. Period. Axl and even more specifically the fans need to realize that.

Can a second album be released? Of course, just don't bury it under a beer coaster.

The reason I don't offer a solution is because there are no solutions. There is a massive surplus of copies of this album in existence. A re-release on any level just isn't feasible. Your idea is a good one especially for us hardcores that would like to hear those entire sessions but it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Even those supposed remixes being released with a CD re-release makes no sense.

If that Best Buy deal hadn't been done I would definitely be on board with this idea. As long as those Best Buy copies exist(and they're not going away), the label is unlikely to risk any new release with the name Chinese Democracy. CD is over. Period. Axl and even more specifically the fans need to realize that.

Can a second album be released? Of course, just don't bury it under a beer coaster.

I see where you're coming from, and you may very well be correct. While the BB deal was profitable for the powers that be, it's pretty ironic that it may have kicked the release of the next album in the nuts, or at the very least, made it far trickier to maneuver.

It's difficult to not think like a fan, as one cohesive body of work covering the best of the Chinese Democracy era is about the coolest thing I can think of. Shame everything that's gone down has screwed over the fans just as much as those involved in its creation.

Edited by sofine11

If there is a next major release it will be CD II. You guys are delusional if you think Axl will ever write, record and release an album with the new lineup.

I don't know. I'm pretty sure theyl'll eventually write and record, but you're probably right about the releasing. Axl doesn't have another 20 years in him in between albums.

• 1 month later...

Even though I still think a double-album would be ideal, at this point I'd take it in any format. Hell, if Axl sprang up a site and simply made it available for download that would be awesome.

To be honest, I'm at the point where I'm wondering if Axl's just not gonna feel like releasing another album out of fear of rejection or of putting out another commercial "failure". Which is just retarded, as CD was for the most part a critical success, just not a huge commercial success in the states after years and years of hype and failures to deliver it. And he has no one to blame but himself for that...But he sure is trying, isn't he?

Edited by sofine11

Hmmmm Axl said something like having 32 tracks almost done back in 2006(26 being done and the rest needing work). We got 14 songs on Chidem leaving 18 songs unreleased. More than enough for a whole new album but not enough for another two. I say put it out as a new album, 14 songs with 4 bonus tracks(none of this Itunes bonus shit, i want quality audio). Put it out before the US tour in February and tour it, have something like 6 appetite songs, 6 chidem songs and 4 CD II songs plus November Rain etc, lose the solo jams, and then after the tour, work on a new album with the new lineup.

But for the love of God, please, release the Bucket/Finck era material, featuring their solos. I don't mind if Ron/Ashba add some rhythm guitar, but keep Bucket and Finck's leads on the album!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm Axl said something like having 32 tracks almost done back in 2006(26 being done and the rest needing work). We got 14 songs on Chidem leaving 18 songs unreleased. More than enough for a whole new album but not enough for another two. I say put it out as a new album, 14 songs with 4 bonus tracks(none of this Itunes bonus shit, i want quality audio). Put it out before the US tour in February and tour it, have something like 6 appetite songs, 6 chidem songs and 4 CD II songs plus November Rain etc, lose the solo jams, and then after the tour, work on a new album with the new lineup.

But for the love of God, please, release the Bucket/Finck era material, featuring their solos. I don't mind if Ron/Ashba add some rhythm guitar, but keep Bucket and Finck's leads on the album!!!

Putting out the next album before the U.S. tour would be the best promotion possible for this band. Nothing excites the masses like new music. Even if the promotion is lackluster, it'll be 10x better than random local commercials and radio blurbs.

This is why Aerosmith's tours have gone down hill in attendance since 2001 (the last time they released new music). Chinese Democracy is, unfortunatly, an aftertought in the U.S. since it's now been two years since Axl's infamous no-show upon its release. I hope Axl plays it smart and does whatever he has to get this album out for the U.S. tour. In my heart of hearts I know that probably wont happen, but dammit I hope so.

Edited by sofine11

Putting out the next album before the U.S. tour would be the best promotion possible for this band. Nothing excites the masses like new music. Even if the promotion is lackluster, it'll be 10x better than random local commercials and radio blurbs.

This is why Aerosmith's tours have gone down hill in attendance since 2001 (the last time they released new music). Chinese Democracy is, unfortunatly, an aftertought in the U.S. since it's now been two years since Axl's infamous no-show upon its release. I hope Axl plays it smart and does whatever he has to get this album out for the U.S. tour. In my heart of hearts I know that probably wont happen, but dammit I hope so.

You know, the problem of concerts and tours, is that unless you attend to a concert you don't get too excited. And if you do go to a concert, you get excited when they announce, when you buy your tickets, and before and right after the concert. And during the concert, of course.

But new music is different. Music is timeless. Chinese Democracy was launched 2 years ago and I still listen to it everyday and it still amazes me,

My friends say "GN'R concert was amazing, wasn't it?". I say "Yes, it was". Because it really was, awesome. But the music, the music IS amazing.

Edited by ManetsBR

You know, the problem of concerts and tours, is that unless you attend to a concert you don't get too excited. And if you do go to a concert, you get excited when they announce, when you buy your tickets, and before and right after the concert. And during the concert, of course.

But new music is different. Music is timeless. Chinese Democracy was launched 2 years ago and I still listen to it everyday and it still amazes me,

My friends say "GN'R concert was amazing, wasn't it?". I say "Yes, it was". Because it really was, awesome. But the music, the music IS amazing.

Exactly. If they come to Chicago, you bet your ass I'll buy a couple tickets. But if I had to sacrifice seeing them live to make sure the next album comes out first, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Exactly. If they come to Chicago, you bet your ass I'll buy a couple tickets. But if I had to sacrifice seeing them live to make sure the next album comes out first, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Guns are skipping Melbourne this year... Last time they came down here they dam near sold out 2 shows in Melbourne.. Lame if you ask me. Hopefully its due to being busy preparing for the new albums release but i doubt it..

• 9 years later...