Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bacardimayne

Reading and Leeds boss warns Guns N' Roses

Melvin Benn, the boss of Reading & Leeds Festival has revealed if the headliners Guns N' Roses take to the stage late, he'll pull the plug on their set.

The boss of Reading and Leeds festival has told the BBC, he has told the band he will pull the plug on their set if they arrive on stage late, as they did at Leeds in 2002, and more recently at their first Stateside concert appearance in four years at the Rock 'N Rev Festival in Sturgis, South Dakota where the band kept the crowds waiting for two hours after the previous act.

The band's appearance at Leeds eight years was over two hours late and landed the festival in trouble with the local council. Melvin Benn is quoted as saying, "If Guns N' Roses decide to take to stage as late as they did in Leeds some years ago then the performance just won't happen. I've had a very heavy warning from the local councils. There is a curfew - it's a very strict curfew."

He adds, "We got away with it once. We won't get away with it for a second time. Unfortunately, if the band chose not to take to the stage on time there's really nothing I can do. I won't be allowed to break the curfew."

"The truth is - it's threatening the viability of the festival. It threatens the licence. It really is quite important."

Last week the festival had to stop rumours that Guns N' Roses had cancelled their performance after a hoax tweet penned by someone who hacked into Rose's account.

Source: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/10/100824b.shtml

surprised more people don't do this...of course, if it does get pulled, Axl will say he was in the airplane on the way to the show, and would have been there in 10 mins...hmmm...vancouver anyone?

What do you think will happen???

dPv

Edited by daphatves

Two possible scenarios:

a.) Axl goes on stage on time and plays a show

b.) All hell breaks loose on GNR forums, John Bonham, SONOFABITCH and madison rule the universe

Edited by bacardimayne

Here's the best case impossible scenario for me:-

They end up not playing at either Reading or Leeds due to time issues. This leads Bumblefoot to threaten Axl with an ultimatum, "Unless we make up for the two long shows by playing for at least three hours at the next two gigs I'm leaving". Axl agrees, and they proceed to playing two three hour plus sets in Belfast and Dublin, with Conor in the front row to see.

And then Slash joins them for a song. As does Buckethead.

Well they took the stage earlier that scheduled at Download 2006 which has a similar curfew policy so there is a chance they will be on time.

Axl doesn't take kindly to threats or "warnings."

The GNR camp has heavily implied that they think Axl will be there, but they haven't gone on the record and guaranteed he will. They're not that stupid I guess.

(Pardon my cynicism, but I never considered a phone call to some guy on mygnr as a confirmation.)

Also note that they never REALLY said it wasn't Axl that wrote that twitter....just that they were looking into it. They've kept the language very vague.

Hmm... Sounds to me like at least for the next couple shows, they've got a built-in excuse for cancellations without it being Axl's fault. If they haven't changed Axl's mind yet, at least it gives them a little more time! :rolleyes:

The music of New GN'R is so uninspiring that the only way they can make a show interesting is to make the fans wonder if they'll play or not. Sad.

The music of New GN'R is so uninspiring that the only way they can make a show interesting is to make the fans wonder if they'll play or not. Sad.

You don't think that. You're just trolling.

Edited by ManetsBR

Axl will do whatever he wants. He is so rich and has an entourage as such as nobody will them he's wrong because that is how you get fired. Maybe he will want to go on time, mabey he won't. I still would not enter that venue until the opening act has been off for a half hour.

First of all... First Post!!!! Haha

Second order of business... why do people who blatanly hate Axl/New Guns come on here talk shit? It's gunsnfnroses.com not whatiwishwasstillaroundandicantgetoverthefactthatslashisntwithgunsanymore.com

Lastly... Axl knows that this is a big gig for them. He will take stage and leave stage in a timely fashion. He knows that the only true fans he and Guns has are people like us. They need a big performance at a big festival to gain the interest of the average music listener again. Hopefully they play a nice mix of classics and Chinese stuff so all audience members are engaged.

They'll be fine.... they lasted this long.... hahaha

We don't HATE Axl and NuGuns....I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a big fan of Axl's music new and old...always have been and always will be.

But let's face it, the man is a mess and he treats his fans and other people in general like SHIT!

There are plenty of people who stick their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge the fact that their precious idol Axl Rose is indeed a very flawed human being. Just cause we are aware of this fact and discuss it openly and matter-of-factly doesn't mean we don't love Guns N Fuckin Roses.

After everything Axl has put his fans and bandmates through, when we discuss his actions we are not "talking shit"...we just don't have our lips permanently pressed to Axl's ass! When a person does shitty things, no matter how famous he is or how much you enjoy his work, you ARE allowed to criticize him, you know!

I tend to have a more realistic view about the man after observing him for the last twenty years or so, so I'm less optimistic about this concert than you. Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny too?

I'm not talking about Buckethead or the album - I'm talking about the tribute act that is currently(?) touring the world.

I didn't say that I hate them or that they are bad - just that they don't inspire me. Sorry.

Edited by John Bonham

I'm not talking about Buckethead or the album - I'm talking about the tribute act that is currently(?) touring the world.

I didn't say that I hate them or that they are bad - just that they don't inspire me. Sorry.

Well, so the music of New GNR is unispiring. I thought, as many of you said, the setlist is 90% made of old songs... And you didn't see this actual band live, did you?

Well, so the music of New GNR is unispiring. I thought, as many of you said, the setlist is 90% made of old songs... And you didn't see this actual band live, did you?

thats a great point. i was skeptical going into my shows but they really impressed me, and im not alone. i dont think this band can be legitimized without an original album, but if you take it for what it is, a nostalgia act, its a very good show. much much better than 06, and that was good too.

anyways, on topic, this is a make or break situation for newnewgnr. these shows are going to be very interesting. they can either re-igninte my hope for new material, or it can totally kill any lingering faith in newnewgnr. time will tell.

Melvin Benn, the boss of Reading & Leeds Festival has revealed if the headliners Guns N' Roses take to the stage late, he'll pull the plug on their set.

The boss of Reading and Leeds festival has told the BBC, he has told the band he will pull the plug on their set if they arrive on stage late, as they did at Leeds in 2002, and more recently at their first Stateside concert appearance in four years at the Rock 'N Rev Festival in Sturgis, South Dakota where the band kept the crowds waiting for two hours after the previous act.

The band's appearance at Leeds eight years was over two hours late and landed the festival in trouble with the local council. Melvin Benn is quoted as saying, "If Guns N' Roses decide to take to stage as late as they did in Leeds some years ago then the performance just won't happen. I've had a very heavy warning from the local councils. There is a curfew - it's a very strict curfew."

He adds, "We got away with it once. We won't get away with it for a second time. Unfortunately, if the band chose not to take to the stage on time there's really nothing I can do. I won't be allowed to break the curfew."

"The truth is - it's threatening the viability of the festival. It threatens the licence. It really is quite important."

Last week the festival had to stop rumours that Guns N' Roses had cancelled their performance after a hoax tweet penned by someone who hacked into Rose's account.

Source: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/10/100824b.shtml

Alleluia.

Finally, a festival organizer with the fortitude to give Axl a badly-needed reality check. It's about time someone let Axl know they're not going to put up with this late-start nonsense and give him an ultimatum. Heaven knows his yes men and hangers-on don't have the courage to tell him to grow up, act like a professional, and take the stage on time. *applauds*

Hopefully other organizers and promoters will follow suit after this. If Axl shows up on-time for this gig, it shows he can do it with the right incentive. ;) If he doesn't, that's the end of Axl's traveling band of hired hands.

Edited by madison

If he doesn't, that's the end of Axl's traveling band of hired hands.

agreed. this is make or break. cant fucking wait!

This would be the perfect show to film the Sorry video at. Close out the show with Sorry as Reading is enveloped in flames.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Another ( highly unlikely ) scenario :

Axl shows up BEFORE schedule and plays, and plays, and keeps playing, everything from every album.

The shit's unstoppable.

The organizer has no choice but to pull the plug and end up looking like an asshole for interrupting the band before Paradise City...

Axl has his revenge, everybody is happy ( except Paradise City fanboys ).

That would be the smart way of handling this given Axl's ego.

Definitely not what is gonna happen.

Edited by BBB