Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest madison

For the reunion dreamers ...

51 posts in this topic

Sorry, but I saw the band in '92 with Metallica and there was a clearly visible distance between the band members then. Even though they played their asses off that night, they were noticeably fractured and distant. The same distance and coldness I noticed with VR and Scott Weiland in Sept. 2007 when I saw them with AIC.

Ali

That's funny, I also saw the band in '92 with Metallica (Three Rivers Stadium), and I don't recall any "visible distance" between the band. In fact, I don't recall that show being anything short of magic.

Tell me, Ali. When you saw these 2006/2010 shows - whether it be live or video clips - have you noticed any "visible distance" between captain asshole and the hired stooges that he employs to play with him? Just curious.

Guess what? I didn't see them at Three Rivers Stadium in '92. I saw them at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando and there was NO interaction whatsoever between the band members that night. I remember it clearly because I was so surprised by it. And, I never said they didn't put on a great show. They did. As I said, they played their asses off. But, they were not interacting with each other at all that night. No visible signs or displays or camaraderie.

And, from what I've seen at the shows I've been to, Axl interacts with and jokes around with the new band more than he did with the old band towards the end of the old band's run.

So, yes, in my opinion based on what I've observed, he seems to be happier in general being on stage with the new guys than with the old band towards the end of the old band's run. That's not to say that everything is perfect and happy-happy joy-joy all the time with the new band.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Oh god.

First of all, of course there was tension there. With two people as different as Axl and Slash there was bound to be. Did this mean they didn't love each other? Hell no. They were the closest people in the band, even closer than Axl and Izzy. All of the great guitarist/singer duo's had a palpable tension between them. I guess that's part of the chemistry. Opposites attract, but in that attraction there are going to be some disagreements or whatever you wanna call them.

In regards to the hug in Argentina, there was no way that was "forced". You don't have to know everything about Axl to know that he's not the most affectionate person in the world. For him to hug Slash at allshows how much he cared for him. And we all know that Axl is not fake, so why would he "pretend" to hug someone? See the time when he called Slash out onstage. He obviously didn't care about what the public would think of that little situation, so why would he this time?

C'mon now.

Sorry, but I saw the band in '92 with Metallica and there was a clearly visible distance between the band members then. Even though they played their asses off that night, they were noticeably fractured and distant. The same distance and coldness I noticed with VR and Scott Weiland in Sept. 2007 when I saw them with AIC.

Ali

That's funny, I also saw the band in '92 with Metallica (Three Rivers Stadium), and I don't recall any "visible distance" between the band. In fact, I don't recall that show being anything short of magic.

Tell me, Ali. When you saw these 2006/2010 shows - whether it be live or video clips - have you noticed any "visible distance" between captain asshole and the hired stooges that he employs to play with him? Just curious.

Guess what? I didn't see them at Three Rivers Stadium in '92. I saw them at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando and there was NO interaction whatsoever between the band members that night. I remember it clearly because I was so surprised by it. And, I never said they didn't put on a great show. They did. As I said, they played their asses off. But, they were not interacting with each other at all that night. No visible signs or displays or camaraderie.

And, from what I've seen at the shows I've been to, Axl interacts with and jokes around with the new band more than he did with the old band towards the end of the old band's run.

Ali

And you are surprised with Axl's interaction with his current band of hand picked employees compared to the old Guns where he was fighting for control...He runs the show now........As the saying goes it is good to be King..........

Oh god.

First of all, of course there was tension there. With two people as different as Axl and Slash there was bound to be. Did this mean they didn't love each other? Hell no. They were the closest people in the band, even closer than Axl and Izzy. All of the great guitarist/singer duo's had a palpable tension between them. I guess that's part of the chemistry. Opposites attract, but in that attraction there are going to be some disagreements or whatever you wanna call them.

In regards to the hug in Argentina, there was no way that was "forced". You don't have to know everything about Axl to know that he's not the most affectionate person in the world. For him to hug Slash at allshows how much he cared for him. And we all know that Axl is not fake, so why would he "pretend" to hug someone? See the time when he called Slash out onstage. He obviously didn't care about what the public would think of that little situation, so why would he this time?

C'mon now.

goodpost.gif

Edited by bacardimayne

We have the pic from the final gig in 93 of Axl and Slash backstage and Slash has his hair in a towel and if I recall that picture was taken after an argument. The guy with the photo claimed that the rip on the bottom was from when he showed Axl years later and he tried to tear the photo up. Obviously there was some distance between the two in that pic as there had been an argument and I would imagine it wasn't the first of its kind and there were a fair few on the road.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there will always be ups and downs in any relationship. Even the most successful marriages in the world will have moments where there are disagreements and fights, and if a photographer happened to catch some of those moments on celluloid, it wouldn't mean the marriage was over. So, I don't think it's fair to look at a single pic and assume the relationship was always like that. If it was, they never would have been able to create the amazing music that they did together.

We have the pic from the final gig in 93 of Axl and Slash backstage and Slash has his hair in a towel and if I recall that picture was taken after an argument. The guy with the photo claimed that the rip on the bottom was from when he showed Axl years later and he tried to tear the photo up. Obviously there was some distance between the two in that pic as there had been an argument and I would imagine it wasn't the first of its kind and there were a fair few on the road.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there will always be ups and downs in any relationship. Even the most successful marriages in the world will have moments where there are disagreements and fights, and if a photographer happened to catch some of those moments on celluloid, it wouldn't mean the marriage was over. So, I don't think it's fair to look at a single pic and assume the relationship was always like that. If it was, they never would have been able to create the amazing music that they did together.

It is however, the reason why if they did reunite, they wouldn't be able to recreate this famed magic you guys yearn for.

1 person likes this

It is however, the reason why if they did reunite, they wouldn't be able to recreate this famed magic you guys yearn for.

Sorry, but you lost me there. Why would past disagreements wipe out all of the chemistry and ability to bring out the best in each other if they reunited?

Edited by madison

Sorry, but you lost me there. Why would past disagreements wipe out all of the chemistry and ability to bring out the best in each if they reunited?

Axl hates Slash now. No amount of money received for a reunion would change that. If he hates Slash, he won't be able to write good music with him like he did back in the day.

Of course I know that every night wasn't fighting and there were going to be ups and downs, I was just trying to say that just because we saw them working well onstage for the most part there could also be arguments following those performances offstage for other reasons.

There were ups and downs which is completely expected when you are catapulted to fame like they were and also when there are volatile personalities in play, especially Axl. It is just a shame that we have pics of those moments where they argue when we would all rather more moments of them smiling and having a great time backstage.

Axl hates Slash now. No amount of money received for a reunion would change that...

Axl has said a lot of things over the years that later turned out not to be true - album release dates, Better video, etc.

When it comes to former bandmates - he mended fences with Izzy, partied with Matt, indicated interest in playing with Duff again .....

When it comes to Slash, I honestly find it hard to believe that two people who shared such a magical time in their lives would be estranged forever.

I always say - never say never - when it comes to a reunion.

Edited by madison

Actually it does because you're claiming you've moved on and are "over it" when in fact, you were never "under it" in the first place.

I'm over it in the sense that I accept the incredible music they created together and what it means to me. But I do not get hung up over it and listen to their music while wishing they would bury the hatchet and make more. It acheives nothing and lessens the greatness of the music. It helped that the new music is, to me, equal if not better than the old line up. I'm as under it as I can be plus I consider the music on the albums to be of higher importamce than the live shows. Bands exist to create music and that's the reason why I am here.

Edited by Plonker

...when we would all rather more moments of them smiling and having a great time backstage.

I have more of those kinda pics than ones of them arguing. Actually I only have one of them kinda arguing (that one you mentioned)

Sorry, but you lost me there. Why would past disagreements wipe out all of the chemistry and ability to bring out the best in each if they reunited?

Axl hates Slash now. No amount of money received for a reunion would change that. If he hates Slash, he won't be able to write good music with him like he did back in the day.

And Slash has issues with Axl as well and has stated there would have to be some big changes in the way Axl does things before he would consider a reunion....Anyone can change but I find it hard to believe Axl would be willing to lose face and make the changes Slash has hinted are required...Don't see it happening..............

And Slash has issues with Axl as well and has stated there would have to be some big changes in the way Axl does things before he would consider a reunion....Anyone can change but I find it hard to believe Axl would be willing to lose face and make the changes Slash has hinted are required...Don't see it happening..............

:thumbsup:

CourierMail : Has the book at least stopped people asking if you are going to reunite with Axl Rose in Guns N' Roses?

Slash : It slowed down considerably when I put the book out, yes. It really does spell it out. You'd have to be an idiot to not get it, but there's still obnoxious people who insist on perpetuating that myth.

...when we would all rather more moments of them smiling and having a great time backstage.

I have more of those kinda pics than ones of them arguing. Actually I only have one of them kinda arguing (that one you mentioned)

I order a thread be made so as to honour these moments for both old and new Guns.

Imagine the nostalgia.

I order a thread be made so as to honour these moments for both old and new Guns.

Imagine the nostalgia.

If I remember correctly, from mygnr Fudd has an amazing collection of Slaxl photos so if anyone could do it it would be her.........

Being in a band, even though you love whoever you are working with, is a constant battle to find a fair balance between your influence and other's.

Just imagine what it was between Axl Rose ( whose ego isn't exactly the smallest ) and Slash ( who apparently strongly rejects Axl's tastes ). Both of them were great rockstars at the time so tension between these two was univetable.

Axl eventually won the battle but he probably did not expect that the consequence would be Slash bailing out on him...

Axl and Slash have both stopped tweeting. Could it be that they're busy negotiating a reunion?

On 7/6/2010 at 6:45 PM, Plonker said:

I'm over it.

Not saying that just to piss people off, I look at videos like that and think "Yeah it was great, but it ended over a decade ago, accept the great memories and leave it in the past."

If only we could still do this......

2 hours ago, John Bonham said:

I miss NGOG

He was a track and field legend. Olympic material. 

I think I talked to him once, when he was a news reporter or something like that ... he seemed nice and polite. I don't understand all the animosity against the kid.

13 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

If only we could still do this......

Yeah, this post (and bump) clearly illustrated this mindset :lol:

On 2010. 07. 07. at 1:43 AM, BBA said:

Bahaha, bba was a champion

On 2010. 07. 07. at 1:03 AM, BBA said:

Funny, I didn't notice their maneurisms being "awkward" or "forced" neither.

I'm wondering which shows this guy caught live? Furthermore, is it "awkward" or "forced" to be an employee of a band? How about not being allowed to give any info on the band's business during interviews? Is that "awkward"?

Well...