• Announcements

• John Bonham

It's GNFNR fundraising time again, please help us stay on-line   05/27/2017

Thanks to everyone who makes this place so much fun to visit, and THANK YOU to everyone who donated last January. The good news/bad news is that GunsNFNRoses has outgrown its current hosting plan, and if we want to stay online we are going to need to upgrade.   You can donate any amount, large or small (via PayPal). My PayPal username is matt.grillo@gmail.com Please enter your forum username so I can match up your contribution with your username. Thank you!   Every dollar helps. If you don't have PayPal a simple check would do. You can mail it directly to me, please PM me for my mailing address. I appreciate your support.   I do not want banner ads here so if you can help us out it would be appreciated. I dislike begging for money for the site but such is life... Thanks for understanding. I really appreciate all of your support. Please help  by donating now, THANK YOU GNFNR MEMBERS!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest madison

For the reunion dreamers ...

51 posts in this topic

Somebody posted this link at another forum and I thought it was really well done - and kinda sad to watch too.

It was certainly sad to see the initially good relationship of two of the greatest music legends of all time deteriorate to the extent that it did. Strong personalities are inevitably going to conflict, and things sadly panned out the way they did. I would like to point out however that the apparent happiness throughout those clips is often forced. I prefer not to dwell on those times in conclusion, as good as they were.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

... I would like to point out however that the apparent happiness throughout those clips is often forced. I prefer not to dwell on those times in conclusion, as good as they were.

Forced? In what way?

Sure, every relationship has its ups and downs - and good days and bad days. But these two people shared such a magical time in their lives and created something that neither of them could ever do on their own as individual musicians.

The interviews they gave during this time were filled with friendly banter and admiration for each other that didn't seem fake. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "forced." :unsure:

Edited by madison

I'm over it.

Not saying that just to piss people off, I look at videos like that and think "Yeah it was great, but it ended over a decade ago, accept the great memories and leave it in the past."

Forced? In what way?

I actually thought that many of the embraces in those clips were quite awkward. Yes there were a few which were utterly genuine (mainly in the early days), but many, the last ever show in Argentina in particular, were merely an act to play down the evident rifting going on between both Axl and Slash. The embrace in Argentina which I highlighted, consisted of Axl forcing Slash around and instucting him to bow, the theme of hidden instruction on the behalf of Axl is quite common throughout those clips.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Forced? In what way?

I actually thought that many of the embraces in those clips were quite awkward. Yes there were a few which were utterly genuine (mainly in the early days), but many, the last ever show in Argentina in particular, were merely an act to play down the evident rifting going on between both Axl and Slash. The embrace in Argentina which I highlighted, consisted of Axl forcing Slash around and instucting him to bow, the theme of hidden instruction on the behalf of Axl is quite common throughout those clips.

Ummm.. you read all of that from some clips that show Axl reaching out to hug Slash? Would you have thought the same if Slash was the one reaching out to Axl? Sorry, but I didn't see any awkwardness in the embraces. *shrugs*

I don't think they were forced to that extent but I reckon some of them were rather awkward. There was a large amount of backstage tension between those two that was being swept under the rug. Kind of like a "I'm hugging this guy even though I can't stand being around him half the time."

I'm over it.

Not saying that just to piss people off, I look at videos like that and think "Yeah it was great, but it ended over a decade ago, accept the great memories and leave it in the past."

Plonker, how many times did you see Axl/Slash onstage together? I'm talking live.

Edited by BBA

There was a large amount of backstage tension between those two that was being swept under the rug. Kind of like a "I'm hugging this guy even though I can't stand being around him half the time."

Precisely, for such a simple explanation it couldn't be explained any better. It's merely my interpretation on a more implict level, and I'm sure I (we) won't be the only one (ones) to see past these apparently "nicey nicey" Axl and Slash moments.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

I'm over it.

Plonker, how many times did you see Axl/Slash onstage together? I'm talking live.

So what? My opinion is still valid.

Congrats on holding off on posting my age, must have been hard to not give in.

Forced? In what way?

Ummm.. you read all of that from some clips that show Axl reaching out to hug Slash? Would you have thought the same if Slash was the one reaching out to Axl? Sorry, but I didn't see any awkwardness in the embraces. *shrugs*

Funny, I didn't notice their maneurisms being "awkward" or "forced" neither.

I'm wondering which shows this guy caught live? Furthermore, is it "awkward" or "forced" to be an employee of a band? How about not being allowed to give any info on the band's business during interviews? Is that "awkward"?

No, I'm being genuinely sincere here. You said that "you're over it" and that you don't allow their separation to bother you. I'm just curious how many times you saw the two of them live? Please answer.

There was a large amount of backstage tension between those two that was being swept under the rug. Kind of like a "I'm hugging this guy even though I can't stand being around him half the time."

Can you confirm which 80s/90s shows that you were backstage with Axl and Slash that gave you this degree of insight?

I'm just curious.

Look, Slash was walking offstage. Firstly, Axl could have hugged Slash backstage and the act would have been equally as important. Instead of taking the first option, Axl probably bunked off on some private jet and cursed Slash for all he's worth. Secondly, instead of just hugging Slash like any other person in that position would do, Axl turned Slash right around to the crowd, as if to suggest there was some sort of solidarity between the two, even though there clearly wasn't. The erosion of the band shortly after proves the latter point. In regards to your second point, Slash was never manipulative or shrewd within the live performance evironment (I can't say the same in terms of the studio based on the claims of Axl), so any act of affection would have been genuine on his part. Slash would never have instructed Axl as to what to do live either.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

No, I'm being genuinely sincere here. You said that "you're over it" and that you don't allow their separation to bother you. I'm just curious how many times you saw the two of them live? Please answer.

None. Zero. Never. Not once. Still in my mummy's tummy. Possibly a sperm.

Doesn't stop my opinion being valid.

Can you confirm which 80s/90s shows that you were backstage with Axl and Slash that gave you this degree of insight?

I'm just curious.

Slash's book pretty much covers it.

Edited by Plonker

Doesn't stop my opinion being valid.

Ahh .. I see. It threw me off when you made the following claim, as if you knew: "There was a large amount of backstage tension between those two that was being swept under the rug."

Judging by that bold statement, I mistakenly thought that you must have witnessed several shows during the 80s/90s - and that perhaps you were a VIP - considering you personally witnessed this "backstage tension" that you spoke of.

Edited by BBA

Sorry, but I saw the band in '92 with Metallica and there was a clearly visible distance between the band members then. Even though they played their asses off that night, they were noticeably fractured and distant. The same distance and coldness I noticed with VR and Scott Weiland in Sept. 2007 when I saw them with AIC.

In other words, from a fan's perspective of what transpired on-stage, it was definitely not all flowers and sunshine.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Look, Slash was walking offstage. Firstly, Axl could have hugged Slash backstage and the act would have been equally as important. ...

Are you for real?

When football players win the Superbowl and are caught up in the crowd reaction in that amazing moment and hug each other, does this mean - in your world - that it's "forced" because they should have waited until they got back to the dressing room to hug? Geesh.

Doesn't stop my opinion being valid...

Actually it does because you're claiming you've moved on and are "over it" when in fact, you were never "under it" in the first place.

Sorry, but I saw the band in '92 with Metallica and there was a clearly visible distance between the band members then. Even though they played their asses off that night, they were noticeably fractured and distant. The same distance and coldness I noticed with VR and Scott Weiland in Sept. 2007 when I saw them with AIC.

Ali

That's funny, I also saw the band in '92 with Metallica (Three Rivers Stadium), and I don't recall any "visible distance" between the band. In fact, I don't recall that show being anything short of magic.

Tell me, Ali. When you saw these 2006/2010 shows - whether it be live or video clips - have you noticed any "visible distance" between captain asshole and the hired stooges that he employs to play with him? Just curious.

Edited by BBA
2 people like this

Ali

That's funny, I also saw the band in '92 with Metallica (Three Rivers Stadium), and I don't recall any "visible distance" between the band. In fact, I don't recall that show being anything short of magic.

Tell me, Ali. When you saw these 2006/2010 shows - whether it be live or video clips - have you noticed any "visible distance" between captain asshole and the hired stooges that he employs to play with him? Just curious.

Yes, I'm curious to hear his answer to this as well. I mean, he claims to have some kind of microscopic ability to detect distress and distance between the original members - I find it hard to believe he'd find everything was fluffy bunnies and puppydog ears between Axl and his current (and ever-changing) lineup of hired musicians.

Edited by madison

We have the pic from the final gig in 93 of Axl and Slash backstage and Slash has his hair in a towel and if I recall that picture was taken after an argument. The guy with the photo claimed that the rip on the bottom was from when he showed Axl years later and he tried to tear the photo up. Obviously there was some distance between the two in that pic as there had been an argument and I would imagine it wasn't the first of its kind and there were a fair few on the road.