its called the golden age of hollywood for a reason

i like him but i find half of kubrick's stuff pretentious

Not a fan of:

Tim Burton

Steven Spielberg

Christopher Nolan

Quentin Tarantino

Oliver Stone

It seems many directors get worse as they get older.  Not always true, and not always linear decline for each director, but for a lot of them, on average, they just lose their touch.  Aronofsky's Pi was one of the best low budget films I've ever seen.  But his latest stuff... that Mother movie was a joke.  I bet Noah would've been better if he had been given more creative control.  I heard there were lots of battles over creative direction.  

I think Spielberg has done some great stuff- Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan.  But he's been in a major decline as well.  Every person I know who's read the Ready Player One book basically hates him now.  I don't know how he could've fucked it up, but he did.  

I've always thought Tarantino was overrated and self-indulgent.  But I actually am liking some of his more recent work.  I thought Django was a lot of fun, in part because the storytelling was linear.  I really liked Hateful Eight as well, although I seem to be in the minority.  A lot of Tarantino's movies, I feel like need a good large edit.  I get it, I get it- him putting long-assed conversations about this and that is part of his style, but jesus christ it gets old.  

James Cameron is about to spend a billion dollars on the Avatar sequels.  He has no idea, but I think those movies are going to bomb.  I liked Avatar, but it also was a bit... not as good as he thought it was.  Like, seriously, calling the floating rock shit "unobtainium".  I don't know why that bothered me, but I felt like it was symbolic of lots of the decision making in his movies.  

I hate Wes Anderson, and I'm sure it's because I "don't get it" and I can admit that.  But he can fuck right off.  

I've always thought Tim Burton was overrated.  I love his style and cinematography, but as an actual storytelling director, he sucks.  I went back and watched the original Superman and the original Batman movies.  Believe it or not, the original Superman holds up amazingly well, almost shockingly well.  Batman on the other hand, has aged terribly.  Not that it didn't have its iconic moments and acting, but whew, it's pretty bad.  Michael Keaton was woefully miscast in my opinion.  I thought that same thing when I was a kid, and I thought it again when I was watching it.  

I love Cronenberg.  When I was a kid, The Fly gave me nightmares and freaked me the fuck out.  Night Breed is an underrated film he did.  Scanners of course is fucking wild.  

Just some random opinions. 

I think Spielberg has kept up. I was afraid Bridge of Spies would be boring because it had been a while since he was on project. Spielberg is good at efficient transitions and expository dialogue but I heard that's in Ready Player One so I'm not as excited to see it now.

Ridley Scott has excelled at making all kinds of movies from horror to dark comedies. The reason I think is actually was more of a cinematographer and would storyboard movies. He wasn't a micromanaging director. There are movies I was surprised to later find out he directed.

41 minutes ago, altered beast said:

Just some random opinions. 

I hate Pi.

I really don't get "surreal" movies. I forced myself to finish it but it was intolerable.

Nolan's Following is probably the best low-budget flick I can think of.

43 minutes ago, altered beast said:

James Cameron is about to spend a billion dollars on the Avatar sequels.  He has no idea, but I think those movies are going to bomb.

Cameron's a strange one.

I love Avatar even though it has one of the worst scripts ever.

I doubt Avatar 2 fails. It'll have Disney PR behind it so even if it's shit like Black Panther, it'll be hyped to the gills. 

21 minutes ago, meatpuppet said:

Ridley Scott has excelled at making all kinds of movies from horror to dark comedies. The reason I think is actually was more of a cinematographer and would storyboard movies. He wasn't a micromanaging director. There are movies I was surprised to later find out he directed.

Ridley's movies make money because he works fast and doesn't give a fuck. 

21 minutes ago, meatpuppet said:

I think Spielberg has kept up. I was afraid Bridge of Spies would be boring because it had been a while since he was on project. Spielberg is good at efficient transitions and expository dialogue but I heard that's in Ready Player One so I'm not as excited to see it now.

Ready Player One is at best a trash airport novel so all the man children and rad fem bloggers can suck a dick

That said it's an acceptable movie with a funny subtext that basically makes fun of its audience

Not high on Spielberg since the 70s

2 hours ago, Sauerkraut said:

I hate Pi.

I really don't get "surreal" movies. I forced myself to finish it but it was intolerable.

You hated Pi???  Haha, well I'm glad to read differing viewpoints actually.  (slash is the devil)  

For me, I was drawn into Pi because a lot of the background plot points are real, for example converting the torah into numbers- that's actually true, which is kind of mindblowing.  I don't know that I ever thought of the movie as surreal.  Mother was certainly surreal (and garbage), and I think in comparison makes Pi look almost ordinary.   For me, David Lynch is surreal.  Pi was a first row ticket seat to watch the main character descend into madness, and I loved how it was wrapped in computer and math nerd shit.  So I guess that can be surreal.  Potayto potahto lol.      

7 minutes ago, altered beast said:

You hated Pi???  Haha, well I'm glad to read differing viewpoints actually.  (slash is the devil)  

For me, I was drawn into Pi because a lot of the background plot points are real, for example converting the torah into numbers- that's actually true, which is kind of mindblowing.  I don't know that I ever thought of the movie as surreal.  Mother was certainly surreal (and garbage), and I think in comparison makes Pi look almost ordinary.   For me, David Lynch is surreal.  Pi was a first row ticket seat to watch the main character descend into madness, and I loved how it was wrapped in computer and math nerd shit.  So I guess that can be surreal.  Potayto potahto lol.      

The feeling of paranoia in Pi actually made me queasy when I first watched it. Then the descent into madness on top of that made me full on ill. 

It has become one of my favorite films of all time and because of Pi, Requiem For a Dream, and Black Swan to a lesser extent, I hold out hope that Aronofsky can turn things around

I liked the plot but I didn't like the strobe-like intercutting like sixes mentioned.

Yeah, Eraserhead and The Trial are two other surrealist movies I despise.

Black Swan was whatever. Yeah I've seen The Red Shoes and softcore lesbiana. Fuck you Aranofsky. 

I think you could differentiate directors from writer/directors. Writer/director M. Night Shyamalan I've heard is a great director but terrible writer as it has been put. Based on the praise of Pi I might check it out.

Kubrick thought directors who didn't writer were lesser. 

I tend to agree.

The director can do a lot of different roles but they're kind of like the boss and stylist.

Axl isn't going to ever write a song about flowery fields and committed monogamy. Scorsese will never not make a movie in some way about New York, Irish people, or religion. And so forth. 

Martin McDonagh - In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

3 hours ago, JeanGenie said:

What about John Hughes movies? I really like Ferris Bueller and Breakfast Club.

Artistically, he's not in league with the greats but his films were such a part of my formative years that he would be on my personal favorite lists of director and writer

22 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Why?

all his movies come across the same way. Over use of Slick, fast paced - cuts with 'cute/funny' dialogue /body language between the actors etc, it's got old quick.

6 minutes ago, GNS said:

all his movies come across the same way. Over use of Slick, fast paced - cuts with 'cute/funny' dialogue /body language between the actors etc, it's got old quick.

His movies are just too much. 

You can definitely tell he's full of himself. His movies are becoming more pretentious.

35 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

His movies are just too much. 

You can definitely tell he's full of himself. His movies are becoming more pretentious.

Movies are about being suspended in disbelief. You should feel like you're an observer in the situation that's taking place in front of you.

Not some gimicky bullshit, with over indulgent use of cuts, dramatic camera zoom-ins, pan outs etc and then some "witty" bullshit dialogue that has no congruence with the film's universe itsellf.

I`ve never understood what was so special about Woody Allen. I think he sucks balls and has n`t made one consistently good movie. Fucking pedo.

21 hours ago, GNS said:

I was about to say about the same thing. Wes Anderson and Tarantino make unique movies but have too many reused gimmicks.

Definitely notice the off topic cute/funny dialogue. All the characters are characters so it's hard to identify with them too. High energy, vociferous so it's like watching someone (Tarantino) talk to themselves. Even in superhero movies there's usually regular people. Not bad movies on their own but each addition is diminishing.

Kubrick also had gimmicks. The long track shot on a dolly. I saw it in The Shining and kept thinking about the camera.