arnold layne

When did you first discover Guns N' Roses?

I know this topic has been discussed before many, many years ago. There are some cool, new members here and I want to hear their stories.

As for me, it was seventh grade and the year was 2005. A new kid game to school and I befriended him. I owe it to him for introducing me to GN'R. 

iTunes was new (and huge) during this time, so GN'R was what I listened to. I remember going on an extra-curricular skiing and snowboarding trip through the school, and he and I would listen to Guns N' Roses after the hills were closed. 

Weird shit. I know.

How about you?

1988.  I was in 5th grade. Pretty sure it was Jungle on the radio.  Then SCOM.  Then PC.  Then Patience.   I liked em all...very catchy.

But it wasn't til the UYIs that I became a full blown fanatic.

Late 87 or early 88. 

Cruising around with a kid that was the star of the high school basketball team. One of the coolest guys around. 

He was playing the cassette and obviously, I was blown away by this new music I hadn’t heard before. 

Before that it was all Prince, Motley Crue, Metallica. And fuck off - but a little Madonna and Cindy Lauper too. And of course Huey Lewis and  Steve Miller. 

Then Appetite became an obsession. 

2003/04 when I was in my fat jackie phase, with my slicked black greasy hair and a dirty sanchez moustache that all the oh so pale ladies seemed to love.

53 minutes ago, meatpuppet said:

Late 80s from MTV.

Late 90s someone mentioned them in passing and I forgot that I forgot about them.

Trapped ever since.

When you’ve been around and loving music since GnR came out, there’s been a point in all of our fandom that we “forgot that we forgot”about them...

great post man. I totally understand

1996. I was 12. Random thought came into my head and I remembered Paradise City, vaguely. Had older brother, asked him about it, he gave me the records... hooked!

High School in the late 80's-maybe 1988? The first time I ever heard It's so Easy was my friend playing it loud in his house-he came out to the porch and did the "Why don't you just..fuck off" to his sister who was outside lol.  I remember kids singing Sweet Child at the bus stop back then also. It's crazy to think back to that when I attend some of the concerts 30 years later now.

3 hours ago, GnRLiars said:

When you’ve been around and loving music since GnR came out, there’s been a point in all of our fandom that we “forgot that we forgot”about them...

great post man. I totally understand

They were everywhere when I was in high school, and I didn't like them at first-wasn't until 91 that I got into them-I think because Sweet Child was played so much on MTV I just got sick of it

1996. My father had a bootleg from their 92 tokyo shows. It was called Banzai. I used it to make prank calls. I called someone and when the guy on the other side said 'hello' I played the 'do you know where the fuck you are' part.  

My dad used to play Appetite all the time in the car on cassette :lol: one of my earliest memories of music was the release of the Illusion albums, my dad and my uncle bought the albums and were playing them on the stereo for days on end.

I was about 11yo when a friend of mine gave an 80's musical videos dvd collection. And on that dvd it was the video for SCOM, that blew my mind and I'm in love with gnr since then

I guess it depends on what you mean by discovered. I knew of the big guns like jungle and sweet child, and thought they were good, but never had the incentive to dig deeper. Then I think in 2004 I was riding in the car with my best friend at the time and his older brother. Locomotive was playing and I asked who the band was. He said GNR. And I remember thinking “Oh shit really?” :lol: For whatever reason it made me wanna dig deeper into the bands catalogue and found myself hooked from then on. I remember being pissed at the fact that they had broken up by the time I discovered them.