Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Wayne Perkins = The Best Stone that never was?

Mick Taylor left the Stones unexpectedly for a variety of reasons in November 1974 a week before the Stones were scheduled to hit the studio. Hi reasons included his increasing heroin usage having a toll on his marriage, the fact that he had been promised credit on a couple of songs and didn't receive any, and he and Keith no longer got along.

In December 1974 they went to the studio and began auditioning guitarists. Many guys auditioned including Peter Frampton and Steve Marriot but ultimately didn't work out. Eric Clapton was called and he turned them down. They cut tracks with dozens of guys

So they came up with a final list of contenders and the final two were a session guitarist named Wayne Perkins, and Ronnie Wood

Wayne plays the leads (left channel), bridge, and solos here. The song as a result is very close to the earlier 70s sound.

He also did the leads and solos for this ballad, released later:

Ultimately, Wayne wasn't chosen because he was American and because his style was too close to Mick Taylor's and they wanted to do something different. Ronnie Wood was chosen after bringing in this riff:

It's a fascinating what if to think of where the Stones' music would've went if Perkins had been chosen instead of Wood.

15 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Jesus man, if there was a paid opening for Rolling Stones fanatic I would give you a recommendation.

They're the beginning and end for me when it comes to music.

There's no Rolling Stones forums?

This is has kind of been dedicated to GNR in all of its bizarre myriad forms over the years.

You started some thread about a guy named Brian Jones or something.  For all I know he was the keyboardist for Dishwalla.  Just saying it all seems very out of place.

10 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

There's no Rolling Stones forums?

This is has kind of been dedicated to GNR in all of its bizarre myriad forms over the years.

You started some thread about a guy named Brian Jones or something.  For all I know he was the keyboardist for Dishwalla.  Just saying it all seems very out of place.

If I was filling the GN'R subforum you'd have a point.
Trying to introduce GN'R fans to a better band.

:lol: Yes, because, we need you to introduce us to The Stones.

They peaked in mid 70`s or early 80`s depending on the perspective.

They should have stopped after "Tattoo You".