Since '87

- The Lost Guns N' Roses Music Video -

Hey All!

I'm fairly new to this site (lurking for just a bit and finally registered) and I've appreciated the real honesty and the lack of censorship (thanks to JB!).

I am a very long-time, die-hard GN'R fan. Yep, since '87, when I was a wee lad. :)  Over the years, I've seen them as many times as possible, which is now 7. (It would have been 9, if not for the Philly riot (that I fought in), which cancelled that 2002 tour.) And I've been on many forums and most of them turned to shit or just became boring. Or both. So, I'm glad to have found this site!

Back in May of 2006, thanks to Sebastian Bach, Axl appeared on Eddie Trunk's NY radio show, with Chris Jericho & Scott Ian also in studio and Mike Piazza briefly calling into the show. During those great stories that all exchanged, Axl told a 20 second anecdote about what he *really* wanted to for the "Sweet Child O' Mine" music video. It's a far cry from what we got, which is a simple video of the band in a rehearsal space, as the label wouldn't let him make his concept.

So, being the super fan that I am, I always wanted to see his Original Concept come to life. Over the years, I'd check out YouTube to see if anyone did it, to no avail. I thought that it'd be cool if I could make this happen and, if so, that it should be as if it was made back in 1988, and in-line with the epic mini-movies for which GN'R videos became known.

Well, back in the Summer, I finally made this thing a reality and released it a few weeks ago! Now, Axl only described his original idea for 20 seconds, so I had to write a full story to make it a 6 minute short film, but I made sure to include everything that he mentioned, and I really hope that it lives up to what he would have wanted. Oh, and it's my directorial debut!

"1988"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJTb6ppKFfc

Please share the link with everyone in your part of the universe! :D Thanks very much and I hope that you enjoy it!!

All the best,

Matt

P.S - If you haven't heard the Trunk show clip, here it is...jump to the 3:21 minute mark. SPOILERS!

1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

None of the actions or dialogue in any way matched up to the musical phrasing or lyrics.  It didn't seem to fit very well.

Uhhh...probably because the song is about Erin Everly, but Axl wanted the video to be something very different, which is posted above. Thanks for playing!

20 hours ago, altered beast said:

Good on ya, man.  Interesting.   

18 hours ago, GNS said:

pretty cool, tweet it to fernandoes

9 hours ago, Major Mayhem said:

Well done, sir!

Thanks very much!! :thumbsup:

its a cool video and you kept it around what Axl wanted the video to be.

From that standpoint its well done

But Axl is a fucking moron.

Hey Axl, you know this video was never made as an official video?

because its a terrible concept

Again, no disrespect to you @Since '87, i liked what you did. I respect it.

it looks very 80s, reminded me a bit of beverly hills cop (fuck, you even have a black baby in there, more believable then Eddy's acting).

Send it to del james gang, he will probably find it offensive though and blame trump on the video.

8 hours ago, Since '87 said:

Uhhh...probably because the song is about Erin Everly, but Axl wanted the video to be something very different, which is posted above. Thanks for playing!

Well since you wanna be a dick about it, it literally looks like someone just played a random GNR song over their student film.  None of the action or editing matches anything at all with the music.  Any random Asian movie I grab off youtube and play SCOM over will look the same.  Thanks for playing.

This guy has to go back. You don't roll into our house and start talking shit to one of the forum vets within your first 3 posts.

Redeem yourself or get fucked, @Since '87.

4 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Well since you wanna be a dick about it, it literally looks like someone just played a random GNR song over their student film.  None of the action or editing matches anything at all with the music.  Any random Asian movie I grab off youtube and play SCOM over will look the same.  Thanks for playing.

Sorry man, wasn't trying to be a dick, just a little sarcasm....I know that I'm new to this site and respect that you guys have been on here for a good, long while. My apologies if you felt slighted.

I made a video to the story that Axl wanted to see and tried to fill-in the blanks. I don't think that much of the song, especially lyrically, would have matched the story if it'd been made back then either. I think that he wanted something very dramatic that was apart from his meaning behind the lyrics.

5 minutes ago, Since '87 said:

Sorry man, wasn't trying to be a dick, just a little sarcasm....I know that I'm new to this site and respect that you guys have been on here for a good, long while. My apologies if you felt slighted.

I made a video to the story that Axl wanted to see and tried to fill-in the blanks. I don't think that much of the song, especially lyrically, would have matched the story if it'd been made back then either. I think that he wanted something very dramatic that was apart from his meaning behind the lyrics.

This fag has redeemed himself.

People hating on this guys video are probably too lazy to take the wrapper off a condom. I've seen kickstarter videos that have been funded for ridiculous amounts of money that are way more amateur then this.

1 hour ago, magisme said:

lol GNS thinks you have to take the wrapper off of condoms.

You mean I've been doing it wrong this whole time?

For what it is, it's pretty good man. It's basically what I imagined when Axl talked about it on Trunk's show or wherever it was.

But like others have said, the concept isn't very good. There's no correlation between what you're hearing and what you're seeing. Basically I could either watch the video/story and not pay attention to the background music, or listen to the song and not really focus on the video. It might've been better without subtitles but it's still a case of, 'you can polish a turd but it's still a turd'. I know it's quite boring being a GNR fan but if you're gonna re-make videos maybe start with Better? :lol: