Sign in to follow this  
GNS

Jim Carey's existential-introspective truthbombs

GNS    541

t Jim Carrey soldiered on by stating that he came to New York Fashion Week in an attempt to “find the most meaningless thing he could come to.” Carrey kept the ball rolling by turning the table on the E! News reporter by looking directly into her soul and saying: “you have to admit it’s completely meaningless,” which she responded to the funnyman and sometimes drama-man with “they say we’re celebrating icons.” His response was curt. “Celebrating icons, boy that’s just the lowest-aiming possibility we could come up with. It’s like, ‘icons.’ Do you believe in icons? I believe in personalities. I don’t believe that you exist,” Carrey stated in a bit of metaphysical solipsism. The reporter doubles down by stating that Carrey himself is an icon and an artist, but he rejects that notion with a grunt and possible Elvis impression.

Carrey continues on to say he doesn’t believe in icons or personalities (in a weird walk back from his previous statement), he believes that peace lies “beyond personality, beyond invention and disguise. Beyond the red “S” on your chest that makes bullets bounce off. I believe it’s deeper than that. I believe we’re a field of energy dancing for itself and uh, I don’t care.” Carrey, at this time, makes a mistake with his existential rant by saying it’s the red “S” that makes bullets bounce off, when multiple theories state that Superman’s costume is made of bulletproof Kryptonian materials. As Carrey continues on, the reporter stares at his shiny jacket, formulating a solid rebuttal: “But Jim, you got really dressed up for the occasion. You look good.

“I didn’t get dressed up, there is no me.”

The reporter tries to take the star of Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls to task, saying: “There’s no you? We’re not here? This is a dream?” To which Carrey responds: “No, there are just things happening.

Jim Carey is having his Charlie Sheen moment and I think it's amazing.

Particularly, his recent comments in reply to what he said in the above video:

“There is no me. There are just things happening,” Carrey said. “Here’s the thing. It’s not our world. We don’t matter. There’s the good news. As an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough into those characters, you realise your own character is pretty thin to begin with. You suddenly have this separation and go, ‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.’ There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real

I know this is probably just the ramblings of an intoxicated/washed up actor-turned artist but I still think it's an interesting existential perspective on life. 

With the release of the latest iphone and all the other shit we are told we need but don't yet we continue to buy anyway, why do keep doing it? Is it because we want to fit in? Do we get sucked into the hype? Or is it because we believe that by purchasing all this needless garbage, we are adding to our character in the sense of feeling more 'complete' or 'content' until the next thing comes along that we will no doubt buy again to  make us feel more substantiated as people?

I like this quote from Jim " I wish everybody in the world could have whatever materialistic thing they wantedt o understand that is where they will not find completion".

arnold layne    2,674

I didn't watch the interview, but those quotes are too philosophical. Not everything in this life has some complex, deeper meaning ffs.

Facekicker    4,072

Yeah reminds me of the babbling bullshit I came out with after doing mushrooms when I was 21 in Amsterdam. 

He should be embarrassed carrying on like that in public at his age 

meatpuppet    764

I think he's at peace and happy. And if you are retired I think the last thing you'd want to do is live up to someone else' expectations. I don't really disagree with his dissociative philosophy. What he is saying is similar to Buddhism and many Buddhists are technically "happy".

He's speaking at a high level about things so even though he's evangelizing he's not at a level of being legit crazy like selling all his possessions and moving to be homeless in the desert.

When you might be culpable in someone else' drive to suicide that's got to be tough to live with. At the end of the day any person's conclusions about their environment and their own life is filtered through some level of rationalization anyway. And a lot of happiness is just that, rationalization.

Just watched the first video, it's a cry for help.  Sounds like a man who is tired of playing the crazy, wacky funny guy role and is probably sick of people always expecting "that guy" whenever they come across him in real life.  It's eerily similar to Katy Perry's recent meltdown when she cut off all her hair and wanted to go back to being Kathryn Hudson because "Katy Perry" is not real.

The reporter called out his bullshit when she pointed out he must care, otherwise he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of dressing so well. 

Facekicker    4,072

He looks like shit. His Irish ex-girlfriend committed suicide a few months back after she overdosed on his prescription pills. 

Dude is having a Charlie Sheen moment but its not even remotely as entertaining. 

8==D    907
1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

He looks like shit. His Irish ex-girlfriend committed suicide a few months back after she overdosed on his prescription pills. 

Dude is having a Charlie Sheen moment but its not even remotely as entertaining. 

He's also in a lawsuit being blamed for her death.