jackie moon

China

Will a Chinese Tycoon's Social Media Campaign Shake the 19th Party Congress?

What Guo Wengui’s scandalous accusations mean for Chinese politics.

http://thediplomat.com/2017/07/will-a-chinese-tycoons-social-media-campaign-shake-the-19th-party-congress/

A showman by nature, Guo proved his talent by throwing incendiary allegations, often cheerfully, at those on high. Through live broadcasts, Guo claimed that Wang’s family had amassed staggering wealth through an extensive network of companies linked to HNA, a Chinese conglomerate worth $3 trillion. Guo also claimed that Wang’s family owns dozens of real estate properties in the United States. Other sensational charges against Wang include his involvement in money laundering, human rights abuses, and sex scandals with top Chinese movie stars.

Wang is the commander-in-chief of President Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign, seen as the second-most powerful figure in China. This is the sort of thing that may mobilize the masses. In recent years there has been a major outflow of wealthy & middle class Chinese - anybody with means wants to get out of China. So what does that leave? The lower class, and they will look at a story like this and not appreciate the deal they've been given. Communism is good in theory but in practice it never works, corruption takes over and it's doomed to failure. It just takes a spark and this story could be it.

Moreover, social media has unexpectedly added to the reliability of Guo’s charges by providing fast third-party checks. Many Chinese Twitter users volunteered to verify the information that Guo disclosed, such as the U.S. citizenship of Wang’s wife and the existence family-owned properties. By early July, these netizens already claimed to have confirmed a network of Wang’s relatives in the United States as well as the family’s ownership over 14 properties worth $30 million in total. On several occasions, some even dug out fresh supporting evidence.

Wow.  I am trying really hard to give less of a fuck about this than I do right now.

Unnnggh.

Nope.  Can't be done.

32 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Wow.  I am trying really hard to give less of a fuck about this than I do right now.

Unnnggh.

Nope.  Can't be done.

This could be a major world event.  It's relevant. It's not deep fried so I understand. You're free to not care. Proceed. 

This just in:

China has some shifty shit going on due to monetary corruption.

Brick officially shat.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

This just in:

China has some shifty shit going on due to monetary corruption.

Brick officially shat.

Of course that is fair, but for change to happen it has to come to light - a spotlight is being put on it. Chinese people are watching this and getting up. 

China is finally at that point that the US hit during Teddy's days. People used to bend over, make sacrifices, work unsafely, because it was all for the good of country and family (mostly country). People finally had enough and unions happened. People in China are getting westernized enough that they know what standard of living is out there and could be theirs, and they aren't gonna stand for this shit much longer.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

China is finally at that point that the US hit during Teddy's days. People used to bend over, make sacrifices, work unsafely, because it was all for the good of country and family (mostly country). People finally had enough and unions happened. People in China are getting westernized enough that they know what standard of living is out there and could be theirs, and they aren't gonna stand for this shit much longer.

exactly. Shit will hit the fan and it will be to the US advantage. This is really interesting to watch which is why EstrangedTWAT's post is off base - this is interesting wherever you are. 

It's not new though, if you've been on eBay in the last 10 years you know that the capitalist floodgates have opened in China.

12 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

It's not new though, if you've been on eBay in the last 10 years you know that the capitalist floodgates have opened in China.

they've opened economic freedoms but not political. that was the compromise post Tienanmen Square.  But they fucked up - they opened the door to save their political hold and soon that will fall too. 

Did you just learn about this or something? This is all common knowledge and has been for some time. I think you fell for a clickbait headline.

Is China's transitioning economy and the resulting political fallout a major world happening? Obviously. Is this a big secret? Obviously not.

"Chinese people", whatever that means, aren't just all of a sudden figuring it out because of some social media guy. These are glacial economic and political movements at work.

Yes.  Old news.

I live in Japan.  About ten years ago, a lot of chain restaurants replaced their cheap disposal wooden chopsticks with plastic ones that could be washed and reused.

Maybe that sounds counter-intuitive, but In Japan, the act of frivolously using something once and tossing it aside was seen as an act of decadence.  It was a symbol of their economic superiority through the 80s and early 90s.

Suddenly, they couldn't afford as many of those cheap throwaway chopsticks for one reason: China.  Shit got too expensive.  So back to reusable plastic chopsticks.  A reminder that the part of the 80s is over and it's back to being frugal like in the post-war years.

It's been going on for a long time, hence my lackluster "yawn" at this thread.

1 person likes this

This all boils down to one question. 

Why doesn't Panda Express serve Sesame Chicken?

On 11/08/2017 at 6:45 PM, AxlisOld said:

in response to Tienanmen Square they cracked the door open on economics to preserve political control - and it's worked for nearly 20 years, but cracking the door open gives opportuntity for the door to be blown open. That may happen here, and it's why KHU is being so careful in North Korea. 

On 11/08/2017 at 7:09 PM, magisme said:

Did you just learn about this or something? This is all common knowledge and has been for some time. I think you fell for a clickbait headline.

Is China's transitioning economy and the resulting political fallout a major world happening? Obviously. Is this a big secret? Obviously not.

"Chinese people", whatever that means, aren't just all of a sudden figuring it out because of some social media guy. These are glacial economic and political movements at work.

Yes. 

I had lunch with a Chinese person and he filled me in. This was info i was not aware of before. So I apologise to you. Please forgive me. 

My source indicated this is a major movement in Chinese culture, so unless you have a Chinese source who suggests otherwise, kindly go fuck yourself.