Spaceman

Is Duff McKagan the most pointless member of the original five?

78 posts in this topic
45 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

And how much did he contribute to the success of Appetite For Destruction anyway.


He co-wrote It's So Easy (with one of GN'R's most notable bass moments); he brought Nightrain to it's final shape with Izzy; he co-wrote the main riff for Rocket Queen with Slash (plus those basslines); He co-wrote Dust N' Bones, Civil War, and Bad Apples. He also wrote the drum intro to YCBM.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this riff by Duff in 1984 sounds like it could be the seeds for YCBM. Duff is on guitar on this track:

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slash describes the development of the music of "Welcome to the Jungle" in his self-titled autobiography. As the band was trying to write new material, Axl remembered a riff Slash had played while he was living in the basement of Slash's mother's house. He played it and the band quickly laid down the foundations for the song, as Slash continued coming up with new guitar parts for it. He credits Duff McKagan as coming up with the breakdown. Duff contradicts this in his autobiography, It's So Easy (and other Lies), saying it was from a song called "The Fake" that he wrote in 1978 for the Vains, a punk band he was in. He also said it was the first song he ever wrote, and that it was later released as a single by the band. According to Slash, the song was written in approximately three hours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, of course the bass player has the most memorable bass moments on the album. What a silly argument to make.

 

Ill refrain from posting my thoughts on Duff, don't want to trigger Budd too much in a single week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bacardimayne said:

Lol, of course the bass player has the most memorable bass moments on the album. What a silly argument to make.

 

Ill refrain from posting my thoughts on Duff, don't want to trigger Budd too much in a single week.


Point is he had his own impact. YCBM wouldn't have its awesome drum intro without Duff. It's So Easy and Rocket Queen might not even exist. Jungle wouldn't exist in its current form without his help. Civil War and Dust N' Bones were co-written by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sixes said:

yes

 

What songs did Steven write or co-write?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Miser said:

 

What songs did Steven write or co-write?

 

Adler's drum sound was key to the AFD sound. Totally irreplaceable

Duff sucks as a bass player, as a musician, as a songwriter, as a writer and he failed as an alcoholic. Plus he's an ugly cunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sixes said:

 

Adler's drum sound was key to the AFD sound. Totally irreplaceable

Duff sucks as a bass player, as a musician, as a songwriter, as a writer and he failed as an alcoholic. Plus he's an ugly cunt


So you don't like It's So Easy, Civil War, Bad Apples, Rocket Queen or Jungle? Duff had a major hand in all those. You don't like Velvet Revolver?

What does winning as an alcoholic consist of? Dying of liver disease? Duff's the only one who didn't end up fucked up in some way or another. Slash has a pace maker in his heart for the rest of his life - real winner there, and he was stupid enough to marry a literal whore and get taken to the cleaners by her. Steven will talk weird for the rest of his life cause he couldn't stop doing coke and had a stroke and he's equally as famous for being a fuckup on Dr. Drew as he is for playing on AFD. Izzy's a fucking weirdo who no one relies on and who got fucked out of a massive payday cause he's a weirdo, and his face looks these days ragged. Axl's fat, ugly, and his only family are immigrants who leech on him. 

Duff went from being a fat, bloated walking corpse to being ripped, with a hot wife and kids of his own. I consider Duff to be the only success story of the band. He was the most fucked up member and ended up being the best off. And at least his biography was actually interesting, blunt and not full of "equally as true" passive aggressive shit.



 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but that's because the other four were shining. He was not doing anything superb, but he was still doing his job just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ManetsBR said:

Yes, but that's because the other four were shining. He was not doing anything superb, but he was still doing his job just fine.


What's more important to a band? Being an interesting personality, or actually contributing musically?
Steven had the more interesting personality of the two, obviously, but any other fuckin' drummer in L.A. could've done those parts or at the very least very similar parts. It's not like Steven was on par with Bonham or Neil Peart or Keith Moon and playing some crazy, insane technically challenging parts that few men could play.
If Steven had actually written a song, and not just drum parts I'd agree with Duff being the most pointless member. But there's not a single song in the GN'R catalog that wouldn't exist without Steven. Maybe they'd sound a bit different in the drum department, but they'd still exist without him. There's the songs I've listed above plus tons of others I'm sure that literally would not exist if Duff wasn't in the band. Just because he had a lowkey, boring personality or came off stupid and high doesn't mean he was useless or "pointless."
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miser said:


So you don't like It's So Easy, Civil War, Bad Apples, Rocket Queen or Jungle? Duff had a major hand in all those. You don't like Velvet Revolver?

What does winning as an alcoholic consist of? Dying of liver disease? Duff's the only one who didn't end up fucked up in some way or another. Slash has a pace maker in his heart for the rest of his life - real winner there, and he was stupid enough to marry a literal whore and get taken to the cleaners by her. Steven will talk weird for the rest of his life cause he couldn't stop doing coke and had a stroke and he's equally as famous for being a fuckup on Dr. Drew as he is for playing on AFD. Izzy's a fucking weirdo who no one relies on and who got fucked out of a massive payday cause he's a weirdo, and his face looks these days ragged. Axl's fat, ugly, and his only family are immigrants who leech on him. 

Duff went from being a fat, bloated walking corpse to being ripped, with a hot wife and kids of his own. I consider Duff to be the only success story of the band. He was the most fucked up member and ended up being the best off. And at least his biography was actually interesting, blunt and not full of "equally as true" passive aggressive shit.



 

 

Velvet Revolver is one of the worst bands of all time. Terrible. Every band Duff has been in sucks. Total cliche, forgettable pap. Believe in me....believe in meh is more like it.

 

Duff is a total poser. And an ugly cunt

 

No, I do not like It's So Easy, snoozefest Civil War or lol Bad Apples. Not in the least bit. Never have. Never. Not one second of any of them. Crap.

Rocket Queen is hair metal blah blah blah disguised as whatever gnr fans think gnr are....sleeze? Nope, regular run of the mill lyrically laughable hair spray "metal"

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

 

Ill refrain from posting my thoughts on Duff, don't want to trigger Budd too much in a single week.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sixes said:

 

Velvet Revolver is one of the worst bands of all time. Terrible. Every band Duff has been in sucks. Total cliche, forgettable pap. Believe in me....believe in meh is more like it.

 

Duff is a total poser. And an ugly cunt

 

No, I do not like It's So Easy, snoozefest Civil War or lol Bad Apples. Not in the least bit. Never have. Never. Not one second of any of them. Crap.

Rocket Queen is hair metal blah blah blah disguised as whatever gnr fans think gnr are....sleeze? Nope, regular run of the mill lyrically laughable hair spray "metal"

 

 


So you judge Duff based off an album he wrote while he was pretty much stoned out of his gourd 24/7?

A poser? And Axl, Slash, and the rest all are the real article? 

You're fuckin' crazy man. Rocket Queen hair metal blah blah? You're nuts dude. It's one of their best written tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got somethin' to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says I'm out of place
I come around, you run and
Hide, pretend you don't know me
The time will come, you'll pay
The price, just wait and
See

You try to cramp my style,
When that word means nothin'
To me
Just go away, you're fuckin'
Decay
And you thought you had the
Right to kick dirt at me?

And now I got a great big
House and my dick' real hard
Was that your daughter with
Blonde hair, I think
I got her pink panties man, send
Her back over
You let life mean nothing man
Worth of status went too far
All this shit you see, never
Meant dick to me

I saw the news, I've read the
Lines
I've seen it for myself
Now you're the ones I clearly see
That really need some help
So now you ask me to join your
Club of upper society
You twist shit up, you turn around
You think you're the picture of
Morality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miser said:


So you judge Duff based off an album he wrote while he was pretty much stoned out of his gourd 24/7?

A poser? And Axl, Slash, and the rest all are the real article? 

You're fuckin' crazy man. Rocket Queen hair metal blah blah? You're nuts dude. It's one of their best written tracks. 

 

They're all poofy posers, Duff being the poofiest 

 

I judge Duff on his body of work, regardless of what he was or was not ingesting. And it all sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sixes said:

 

They're all poofy posers, Duff being the poofiest 

 

I judge Duff on his body of work, regardless of what he was or was not ingesting. And it all sucks


How is Duff more "poofy" than Steven, who literally had a poodle haircut, and literally sucked dick for crack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there gayer lyrics than those of the Rocket Queen outro?

Every cliche hair metal lyric and gay vocals all in one big faggy outro

 

Fuck me in the ass

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sentimental Movie and the other Duff cutting room floor demos show what a shit writer he is.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miser is in full GnR Educator mode. Thank the lord we have a real life GnR historian on the forum to educate the rest of us in every single topic. 

 

I would post my personal experiences with seeing Duff live and wth watching his career progress (in actual time) - but there really is no need. Miser can educate us all by just quoting things he has read on the internet. 

 

Loaded is one of fhe most generic and boring bands I've ever seen live. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Miser is in full GnR Educator mode. Thank the lord we have a real life GnR historian on the forum to educate the rest of us in every single topic. 

 

I would post my personal experiences with seeing Duff live and wth watching his career progress (in actual time) - but there really is no need. Miser can educate us all by just quoting things he has read on the internet. 

 

Loaded is one of fhe most generic and boring bands I've ever seen live. 


So Slash writing in his book that Duff wrote the breakdown to Jungle; The liner notes to the UYI albums in the booklet; and interviews in which Duff, Matt and others said Duff wrote the YCBM drum intro is me "just quoting things I've read on the internet"?

So, you watched "in actual time" the composition of Appetite and the Illusion records? You know more about how they were made than the actual people involved do? Please enlighten us.

I never said you couldn't post your experiences. I'm not the one who is attempting to stifle and harass someone else - you are. Why is the fact that I'm offering my views on things so offensive to you? 
Seriously, what's your issue with me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, altered beast said:

I think Sentimental Movie and the other Duff cutting room floor demos show what a shit writer he is.  


Isn't Sentimental Movie Slash and Duff singing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now