Miser

Gilby Clarke Appreciation Thread

53 posts in this topic

The guy who saved the UYI tour, who was the only normal member of the band, who had a cool image and released a cool first solo album; I figured the guy with the brand new pink Cadillac deserved some appreciation.

Fuck Gilby and his cool image, the cocksucker mocked Since I Don't Have You publicly in an interview, while still being in the band. If you don't like what's being recorded, get out bitch.

2 people like this

Gilby's a fucking douchebag who milked his status as Izzy lookalike for everything it was worth.  Remember when he did Rockstar Supernova?  What exactly were his credentials again?  Toured with GnR as an employee?  Played on Spaghetti Incident?

During one of the MTV specials, he mocked Axl, walking to his room and seeing if he was in there and lifting up a curtain or something.

Yeah, sorry, and also he said it's not a real reunion without him there.  LOL

3 people like this

6 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

This thread is now subscribed to Gilby Facts, an automated service that provides a daily fact about Gilby Clarke until the subscription is cancelled!

Did you know that Gilby Clarke has appeared on exactly ZERO original Guns N' Roses songs? Stay tuned for tomorrow's fact!

His solo album is still much better than all of Izzy's.

9 hours ago, altered beast said:

Gilby's a fucking douchebag who milked his status as Izzy lookalike for everything it was worth.  Remember when he did Rockstar Supernova?  What exactly were his credentials again?  Toured with GnR as an employee?  Played on Spaghetti Incident?

During one of the MTV specials, he mocked Axl, walking to his room and seeing if he was in there and lifting up a curtain or something.

Yeah, sorry, and also he said it's not a real reunion without him there.  LOL

We mock Axl all the time. Maybe laughing at the shitty situation was the only thing that kept him from turning into an alcoholic or junkie like Slash and Duff had become to cope with Axl's antics.

Why are those bad credentials? He played on a GN'R record which featured Axl, Slash, and Duff, and was a member of Slash's Snakepit, which featured every single member of GN'R except for Axl in some way (Duff and Izzy co-wrote one of the songs). His album is also the only solo record to feature Slash, Duff, Axl, and Matt.

10 hours ago, shadowofthewave said:

Fuck Gilby and his cool image, the cocksucker mocked Since I Don't Have You publicly in an interview, while still being in the band. If you don't like what's being recorded, get out bitch.

It's a band. That kind of shit happens all the time. Slash and Duff were mocking Axl openly as early as the late 80s "Axl wrote 'em all". 

I really don't have any strong feelings towards the guy one way or the other. Except the false entitlement he feels to be cemented into the band's history (the reunion, rrhof, etc.). Cmon son. Check and then proceed to fuck yourself :lol:

He did a fine enough job during the UYI tour given the situation...and that's about it.

1 person likes this

Gilby Clarke once had this to say when questioned about his thoughts on the current tour:

"...I don’t know if you can really call it a reunion. Myself, Matt Sorum, Izzy – it didn’t happen as a reunion..."

What a guy eh? Stay tuned for tomorrow's fact!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, bacardimayne said:

Gilby Clarke once had this to say when questioned about his thoughts on the current tour:

"...I don’t know if you can really call it a reunion. Myself, Matt Sorum, Izzy – it didn’t happen as a reunion..."

What a guy eh? Stay tuned for tomorrow's fact!

:rofl-lol:

21 hours ago, Miser said:

The guy who saved the UYI tour, who was the only normal member of the band, who had a cool image and released a cool first solo album; I figured the guy with the brand new pink Cadillac deserved some appreciation.

Umm he was the first nobody in this band

His solo albums sucks some serious ass

Terrible thread btw

2 people like this

Did you know? Gilby Clarke once attempted to play Izzy Stradlin's classic hit "Sweet Child O' Mine" at a dive bar in the UK. This hilarious recording is the result. Listen as the crowd starts off enthusiastic and it completely disappears by the end of the intro. Oh, Gilby!

New fact tomorrow!

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

Did you know? Gilby Clarke once attempted to play Izzy Stradlin's classic hit "Sweet Child O' Mine" at a dive bar in the UK. This hilarious recording is the result. Listen as the crowd starts off enthusiastic and it completely disappears by the end of the intro. Oh, Gilby!

New fact tomorrow!

Omg, he is worse than DJ Ashba

Holy fuck

2 people like this

All this Gilby talk reminds me that Izzy Stradlin:

- can't play the SCOM intro either;

- has released as much as good solo songs as Gilby

Thank God there's Slash, GNR has such a history of pathetic rhythm guitar players...

2 people like this

29 minutes ago, maynard said:

All this Gilby talk reminds me that Izzy Stradlin:

- can't play the SCOM intro either;

- has released as much as good solo songs as Gilby

Thank God there's Slash, GNR has such a history of pathetic rhythm guitar players...

Izzy Stradlin wrote almost half of the original GNR songs (co-wroting SCOM included)

he doesn't have to play the SCOM intro riff, because he is a rhythm guitarist

I think it's safe to say nobody stated that Izzy and Gilby are geniuses on their own (except Miser who for some odd reason worship a mediocre hired hand, probably trolling)

Anybody who would prefer Gilby over Izzy is a tool, imho

Yeah, Slash is a good lead guitarist. On rhythm, well...

Gilby however:

wrote zero songs

a poor man's izzy

can't play SCOM

can't sing for the sake of his life

he really thought he is an important "member"

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Izzy Stradlin wrote almost half of the original GNR songs (co-wroting SCOM included)

he doesn't have to play the SCOM intro riff, because he is a rhythm guitarists

I think it's safe to say nobody stated that Izzy and Gilby are geniuses on their own (except Miser who for some odd reason worship a mediocre hired hand, probably trolling)

Anybody who would prefer Gilby over Izzy is a tool, imho

Yeah, Slash is a good lead guitarist. On rhythm, well...

Gilby however:

wrote zero songs

a poor man's izzy

can't play SCOM

can't sing for the sake of his life

he really thought he is an important "member"

But Gilby is rhythm too so why bring up his SCOM video?

Izzy Stradlin wrote many great tunes. But they all have something in common. They all had input from Axl Rose, Slash and Duff added to them. Remove this trio, go listen to Izzy solo albums and get me a memorable/GNR-level song. Thank you for wasting your time.

What exactly is a poor man's Izzy? Was he even attempting to sound/act/look like Izzy? I don't think so. His gear was different, his look was different, his stage persona was different. Why are you making up stuff about Gilby Clarke? Is it even worth it? Just let him be.

He wrote zero songs for GNR. He does have a cool solo album. Very well done, compared to Izzy's solo carreer which have been countless albums of so-so songs.

Can't play SCOM? Neither can Izzy - pointless to bring this up if we are comparing them. No discussion about the songwriting part, of course. :) The finished product is a collab tho. Credit where it's due.

Izzy's monotone voice is not THAT good either. And he can't even yell NIGHTRAAIIN at the right time. :(

What he thinks or what anyone rock star thinks should not be of our concern. Unless you're 15 years old.

19 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

Shuffle it All is better than most GNR songs tbh

Going Down level.