Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budd Dwyer

Tommy Stinson said Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

44 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, GUNNER said:

It's not time for new music.

They have to keep milking the cow 'till the end of the tour.

Then we'll see  ...

If Axl put the rest of the CD2 and CD3 songs out on ITunes tomorrow, how would that have a negative effect on the rest of the tour?

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Apollo said:

If Axl put the rest of the CD2 and CD3 songs out on ITunes tomorrow, how would that have a negative effect on the rest of the tour?

He just doesn't work that way. No matter how many times you posted the same logical ideas, he will not do that

That being said, my bet is on a 2020 release. 35th anniversary. They just milking the cow for now until 2018

I don't think it's even plausible to tour after 2018, because

1. Axl lose interest or his voice

2. Axl would rather do an album with Angus

3. The demand for a tour will diminish after 2018, unless they don't care and just touring the arena/residency/million dollar wedding circle like fakeGNR. (in this case, we will probably only get something new when Axl kicks the bucket)

They'll need something new sooner or later

Not even the South American idiots wants to see the same show for the umpteenth time. The long awaited reunion is happening right now (the core and demanded classic members are there for the casual fans) so they can only milk this big stadium cow once

There is some material. With or without vocals. There is some even older material, 4tus even talked about ideas that were rooting back to the Slash days. The Slash days are here again. Go figure

Edited by Budd Dwyer
1 person likes this

I agree with most of that but it can be milked more than once. I do notice you include AC/DC in that and that would definitely alter any future GNR timeline for obvious reasons. 

Tour 2017-early 18

album, GH, box set, whatever

Tour summer/fall 2018-2020

Then they can either coast on fumes and do it all over again or release something else.

Yeah they're not spring chickens but we live in a world where men in their 70s(McCartney, Jagger, etc.) are doing three hour stadium shows. It could be a viable touring act for 10-15 years.

The only real question  is what ELSE are they going to do? Are they content with just being the biggest nostalgia act on the planet and simply touring the hits or do they want something more? They have a vault that they haven't even touched yet although its not even necessary now. We're only coming to the one year mark.

As much as I would love to hear an Axl/DC album, not sure if he should even go there. That's at least two years used up on that band/album/tour. 

Its been said a million times but all of this needed to happen a lifetime ago. Who knew he could be so ambitious and front two bands at the same time? Running in place with new GNR did him no favors. He still has so much potential and with one album in 23 years, much more to offer. Father Time is patting him on the back and saying, "better shake some speed on this".

You're right that they're going to need new product at some point. Yes it is huge but the law of diminishing returns does not discriminate. They will see the crowd size start to shrink and more than likely switch over to arenas here before it becomes too noticeable.

We said it last year....2017 will be key to knowing which direction they are taking this. We've got the big kahuna AFD anniversary coming up which should be the shindig to end all GNR shindigs. Its the last big anniversary for the album while they're young enough to make something of it and I assume the label is licking its chops to start raking in more dough.

The timing of this whole thing makes you wonder how big it can really be. Our culture is completely different now. An instant gratification society that lives and dies based on what is trending. Social media rules all. We saw this last year when the reunion news was major shit to the point great grandmas were snake dancing down the street at the shock and wonder of it all. Just as quickly as it hit the world over the head, it became more of a local thing where the only people focusing on it were the people in the city that was being graced with the presence of the machine.

It's not the pop culture event that it deserved to be. That can change but to what extent I have no idea.

You brought up his voice. That's a good point and while people like Jagger can talk the songs until they're 90, GNR songs are a different ballgame.

1 person likes this

Not going to happen. While it wouldn't have a negative effect, it would simply be a waste. They're not in the US to promote it for one thing, the other is that they're already on a stadium tour that I assume is still selling out. If you're playing to sold out stadiums, how many people can buy tickets to your show based on that album? None. They'll rightfully wait until they've been around the world before even considering unleashing a new album. Last year when this got underway, I thought 2017 would be perfect for the next album. Now I'm not so sure. Release a killer compilation for the AFD anniversary this year and then 2018 is the time for new material.

The time to do something like drop two albums on the world ala NIN The Slip has already passed. 

I know hardcore fans have waited a coon's age for new music but they're just gonna have to wait a bit longer. Forget Chinese. The reset button was hit on everything the moment Axl called Slash. 

We haven't been waiting eight years for CD II. We've been waiting one year while they're on a stadium tour.

Its a huge cow, old fat and ugly as shit, but its still full of milk.

1 person likes this

How many more years does Axl have to milk the GNR legacy before we admit that's all he's ever going to do?

I just want to know when I can check in and be safe from lol new album fantasies.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, magisme said:

How many more years does Axl have to milk the GNR legacy before we admit that's all he's ever going to do?

I just want to know when I can check in and be safe from lol new album fantasies.

Truthfully, never.

The window for an impactful, well-received album closed about 10 years ago, but the window for a shit Rick Rubin cashgrab roots album will always be open.

Chuck Berry is like 100 years old and putting out his first album in forever this year.

2 people like this

I get that it will always be a feasible business move, but that's not the issue, right? Axl is and always has been the issue. That ain't changing.

I just can't help but see new album talk as crazy talk. I don't see it based in any GNR reality.

13 minutes ago, magisme said:

I get that it will always be a feasible business move, but that's not the issue, right? Axl is and always has been the issue. That ain't changing.

I just can't help but see new album talk as crazy talk. I don't see it based in any GNR reality.

The older he gets, the more likely he is to do a cashgrabby nothing album. 5 years ago a reunion between Axl and Slash was objectively impossible, because Axl. Then Axl got older and fatter and saw the money.

I think we'll see that happen eventually with an album of some sort.

7 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

The older he gets, the more likely he is to do a cashgrabby nothing album. 5 years ago a reunion between Axl and Slash was objectively impossible, because Axl. Then Axl got older and fatter and saw the money.

I think we'll see that happen eventually with an album of some sort.

Maybe. I think an album is a lot more work for Axl than a tour, though. He gets all bitch boi sensitive about his work and it takes him forever to record anything. On the other hand, he can give zero fucks about his concert performance and rake in the cash as he travels the world.

I'd say 100% no new album as long as they can tour successfully. 10% new album if ticket sales drop.

1 album in 23+ years.....there will not be another album. They aren't even a "band". I bet they don't even really talk to each other. They show up, perform, go home. That's it......

2 people like this

I think their feud was so so strong they must be in good terms now and I believe they hang out sometimes and are genuinely having fun. I agree they are not really a band but a live act and that's mostly Axl's fault. I'm pretty sure Duff and Slash would love to record with Axl.

Only the user Rovim believes in CD2, it's quite obvious TSI will be the last release from GNR excluding GH and Live Era.

It beggars belief that Axl would rather tour the world for the umpteenth time than work on a new record. 

I have my suspicions that Axl only agreed to the reunion in the first place to enable him to further proscratinate with GNR. I mean, there's no way NuGNR could've carried on touring beyond 2014. In 2014, Axl was at a crossroads of sorts, he could either record a new album with his 09-14 line-up or he could give Slash a call and continue touring the world for another three years. And he chose the latter, probably because it allowed him to carry on with the band without having to put out new music.

Edited by Towelie
1 person likes this

I understand all your points. 

But Axl is set to make like 100 million dollars by this tour, so money shouldn't be an issue at all. 

That's why I like the ITunes idea or even the idea of releasing all the music for free on the GnR official website. Axl could say "I'm clearing out the vault and sharing all the old  stuff with my fans. The regrouping lineup will release a new album later this year."

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

It beggars belief that Axl would rather tour the world for the umpteenth time than work on a new record. 

I have my suspicions that Axl only agreed to the reunion in the first place to enable him to further proscratinate with GNR. I mean, there's no way NuGNR could've carried on touring beyond 2014. In 2014, Axl was at a crossroads of sorts, he could either record a new album with his 09-14 line-up or he could give Slash a call and continue touring the world for another three years. And he chose the latter, probably because it allowed him to carry on with the band without having to put out new music.

Hate to quote myself, but that is so true. I speak such sense.

Axl hides behind touring. In his head he is still a relevant artist, because he has 20,000 people coming to see him perform at every show. It requires very little of him, he just has to turn up, go through the motions and do the same show he's been doing since 2001. But in reality, he is just touring because he is incapable of doing anything else with Guns N Roses. Most bands release an album, tour the world once for 2-3 years and repeat the cycle. How many times has Axl trotted the same show around the globe since CD came out in 2008? I think this is his fourth time now, and that doesn't include Vegas residencies. It started to become Groundhog Day in 2012. Now we're in 2017, and it's just beyond tedious. I've started to think it isn't so much about Axl's laziness, more that he is actually incapable as a bandleader and frontman of doing anything beyond karaoke. He is no longer an artist, that's for sure.

Edited by Towelie

It's just Axl's band and his hired hands.

Salsh is the new DJ

Duff is the new Stinson

Melissa is the new Pitoman (with smaller tits)

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, magisme said:

Maybe. I think an album is a lot more work for Axl than a tour, though. He gets all bitch boi sensitive about his work and it takes him forever to record anything. On the other hand, he can give zero fucks about his concert performance and rake in the cash as he travels the world.

I'd say 100% no new album as long as they can tour successfully. 10% new album if ticket sales drop.

Ticket sales will drop. it's inevitable

Show me another band that

1. can tour with one album in 23 years

2. the 1. plus five fucking studio albums in total. Their discography is not that huge. Metallicas were able to tour for almost 8 consecutive years without a new record. But even them had to release some b-sides and live albums

3. sooner or later, the newly found nostalgia fans will start to demand something new. 

Even the fucking matusalem Rolling Stones had to release a blues cover album. That's their first since 2005

The real money is in touring, always be, but even the biggest and oldest bands needs to put out something new from time to time. 

Smaller bands can get away with 4-5 albums in total and endless nostalgia touring, but GNR is not a small band since 1986

Edited by Budd Dwyer
1 person likes this

Tommy Stinson Talks DJ And Bumblefoot Quitting: 'I Felt Bad For Axl Because I Think He Kinda Got Side-Swiped A Bit By Some Of The Stuff'

Hard Rock Haven - Interview With Tommy Stinson

February 14, 2017

Hard Rock Haven: Obviously writing for a hard rock website, it would be remiss of me to not ask any Guns questions. Did you ever see this happening…Axl reuniting with Slash and Duff? 

Tommy Stinson: If you asked me if it would happen I would have said, “Definitely wouldn’t be happening.” But I think that…I think that due to some of the things that happened towards the end when I was in the band…from my part in it, I wasn’t able to tour for a while because of my family situation at home was very unstable. I had to take care of some shit. So I had basically had to turn down I think it might have been as many as 5 different tours that they wanted to do. And this that and the other thing, I just couldn’t do it. And then DJ (Ashba) quit…when DJ made it official he was “quitting Guns N’ Roses” or whatever. I think that was pretty, “Okay, well, guess we’ll move on from this chapter and get back with the old guys.” I mean, seems to me there might have been some other weird stuff going on in there that I wasn’t party to, but I’m glad they did it. I think it was important that they did. They’re having a ball and fucking killing it. I’ve seen 2 shows, they’re great. They’re all really happy and it seems to be drama free.

HRH: I’m envious, I haven’t made it to any of the reunion shows yet. You mentioned DJ quitting…was that an unusual situation to be in. Were you privy to that at all at the time or did you find out with the rest of us?  

TS: (laughs) You know, he called me up on the phone and told me that he was gonna quit, you know, and this that and the other thing. I just kinda got to thinking … it was funny that he made such a big deal about it because there wasn’t really anything going on. He seemed like it was kind of inevitable that there was going to be a reunion happening, so I think he…I don’t know if he (laughs) tried to get in front of the curve to, you know, drum up some extra fucking press for himself. I don’t really know what the deal was, but I thought it odd. I thought it an odd time to make a big stink about quitting, you know?

HRH: Honestly, I didn’t find it anywhere near as odd as Bumblefoot’s whole “not talking about it” thing that went on for a while in his interviews. That time had to have been an unusual situation for everyone in the band.  

TS: It was. It was comical actually. (laughs) I was laughing about it. You know, I mean I felt bad for Axl because I think he kinda got side-swiped a bit by some of the stuff that was going on. He knew…they all knew…what was going on with me and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn’t have any backup plan to help me with my 8-year-old kid or any of that, so it got to be pretty rough quick. But you know, whatever led to them doing this reunion, I think a lot of people are really happy about it. Like I said, I saw 2 of the shows. They were great. Looked like they were having fun. The only one out of them I don’t really know is Slash and all those guys are my buddies. I’ve talked to them and they’re all having a good time as long as they keep doing it.

HRH: Obviously during your tenure in Guns there was only one album released. Does that bother you at all? Do you wish there was more of an output during your time in the band or do you know of something that you wanted to put out?  

TS: Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know?

HRH: Well I’m one of those out there that loves Chinese Democracy so hats off to you for your part in it.  

TS: Thank you.

http://hardrockhaven.net/online/2017/02/interview-with-tommy-stinson-of-bash-pop/

25 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

HRH: Obviously during your tenure in Guns there was only one album released. Does that bother you at all? Do you wish there was more of an output during your time in the band or do you know of something that you wanted to put out?  

TS: Well we recorded a lot of stuff. We recorded a shit ton of music. Whether it ever sees the light of day I couldn’t even guess, but we recorded a lot of stuff with the intent that it would be kinda staggered out, I think, you know to keep it rolling in a way. I’m not sure if it was Jimmy Iovine’s fuck up or someone’s fuck up that, you know, made a lot of that just…shut Axl down is what it did, but I’m not really sure where that stuff’s going to end up or what it’s gonna be. Who knows if it’ll be anything ever, you know?

At least Tommy still rehearses Out Ta Get Me.

1 person likes this