Sign in to follow this  
Budd Dwyer

Tommy Stinson said Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

Was being in Guns N’ Roses the hardest gig you’ve had? Was the Replacements more difficult?

You know, all of them had their own bits. I wouldn’t say any were any harder than the other. In terms of the Guns N’ Roses record, only because it took so long to get done, at the end of the day it seemed like still Axl wasn’t happy with it and so it kinda got yanked from his hands a little bit prematurely. That’s kind of a disappointment to me more than anything. All things considered, I think we all did our best job, put our best foot forward, and there’s that record, you know?

You obviously played on Chinese Democracy and toured behind it. What’s your take on that record?

I think there’s some good stuff, I think there’s some not-so-good stuff and I think that probably could be said for all those Guns records. There’s some stuff that wasn’t my favorite but that’s just me. But that kinda goes with everyone’s fuckin’ records. I can’t even think of how many bands I like their entire fucking record. They are out there of course but I can’t think of one right now [laughing].

How did you score the Guns gig, by the way?

I was rehearsing in the same rehearsal hall as Josh Freese was and he had already joined the band and was playing with them. He just kinda joked at me, saying, “Hey, we need a bass player, you should come. Try it out, man! We’re just having fun with it.”

I kinda went out there on a lark. I learned a couple songs, just went out there for fun and to see what it was about and not a whole lot happened after that so I had the gig. I was like, “Sure. Why not?”

I mean the idea after I talked to Axl about it, you know, what he was trying to get done after everyone quit the band, I thought was pretty fuckin’ ballsy and cool. So I was kind of in for that reason.

You said you learned a couple of Guns songs. Were you a fan already? Did you go out and buy Appetite for Destruction or something like that?

No, I learned a couple, three songs and kind of winged it. I didn’t really contemplate a whole lot more than that. I was kind of testing myself as well.

Did wanting to go back to basics like that maybe stem from your experience recording Chinese Democracy? You saw firsthand how that dragged on for years, right?

Yeeaaahhh. Anyone, any musician can fuckin’ overthink things in a fuckin’ heartbeat and just beat the shit out of a song. I’ve seen many a good song ruined in that fashion and sadly it just happens. Musicians are a quirky bunch. Some of us don’t come from the greatest places, aren’t in the greatest fuckin’ headspace all the time so you gotta try and capture that magic in a bottle when you can. It’s hard to accomplish because getting what’s in your head on a fuckin’ record is completely…[laughs]…it’s our hardest gig we’ve got as musicians is tryin’ to get the ideas in the brain on the fuckin’ disk.  It just takes a lot to pull that out and get it where they want it, exactly where they want it, where they fuckin’ think it’s supposed to be, the way it’s supposed to sound. All that.

Do you prefer just chilling out and touring without so much of the gear that comes with the huge Guns N’ Roses shows and Replacements reunion shows?

I like all of it for different reasons. I’ll be honest with you, I am stoked about the Guns N’ Roses reunion. All those guys are my buddies, except I don’t really know Slash. I don’t think I’ve ever met him. But all those guys are my friends and I’m glad they’re out doing it but I’d be lying if I said I missed that gig. I miss the people a whole lot and obviously you miss the fans and stuff like that. But where I’m at in life right now, that’s just a whole thing that…I’m not saying I’d never do it again but I’m kind of glad I moved on from that.

http://observer.com/2017/01/tommy-stinson-guns-n-roses-bash-pop-replacements-album/?curator=MusicREDEF

This moron just sounds like the american equivalent of Lenny. Don't read the whole interview unless you are a hardcore Stinson fan, it's boring like his career :lol:

He totally hate this band, just like Pitman, how did he ended up being in the band? Oh Axl, you fucking wanke...ahem loser...

Also lol at "huge" remark for the Replacements. They are practically nobodies. Never understand the hype for them in GNR forums. I haven't heard about them back in the day, and i don't really saw many peeople who even knew that band.

Edited by Budd Dwyer

18 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

All things considered, I think we all did our best job, put our best foot forward, and there’s that record, you know?

Did he just give CD a participation award? :lol:

55 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Tommy Stinson Compares Chinese Democracy to Precum! "The Record Company pulled out early and prevented us from knockin' up America."

http://observer.com/2017/01/tommy-stinson-guns-n-roses-bash-pop-replacements-album/?curator=MusicREDEF

I always thought it was because Axl put on a body condom after Chinese Democracy came out but I guess this makes sense too. The release was tainted. Get your sticky fingers off of my record!

Edited by Donald Trump

Good interview. Tommy is just being honest here. Axl did say the music on Chinese was exactly what he wanted it to be, what he wanted to release. The booklet was not though.

This is what Tommy thinks about the records, not Axl. Axl said Chinese is still his favorite material to play live and seems proud about what he accomplished.

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl said

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Yeah but If the World is Locomotive + Elton John

7 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Tommy is right - no GN'R record is perfect by any means. Nope, not even Appetite. Sorry. That said, Chinese Democracy isn't a dud either :rolleyes: Commercially, maybe, but that's not the albums fault. That's lack of promotion and basically just ignorance of people (between just not knowing fuck all about GN'R/CD, or the whole "It's not GN'R without Slash so I'm not accepting it" shit). It's a great album.

As for premature, yeah obviously it sounds silly and the album should have been out years before (though I've always said it should have come out in 05/06 when the iron was really hot and Axl was in near-perfect form), but Axl and the band probably still felt it was premature since something about it in their eyes wasn't finished. Not to mention the fine details of the release, including promotion and even just the booklet/artwork.

I think Tommy has been extremely honest and humble while doing so in any GN'R related interviews/questions since he's left the band. I like him more now than I ever have.

In this post BS blames people for CD being a failure, that was a new excuse. My response:

1 hour ago, maynard said:

1. LOL - So you are blaming the label and... people (?!) for it's failure? What a joke. How can you blame people for not knowing anything about CD if Axl kept it all secret? Remember GNROnline.com? I'm sorry man but there was 0 info about CD there, why do you blame people? Fuck man, how old are you again? And why are you rewriting history with the lack of promotion bullshit? That's simply untrue, come on! Even in Brazil there was special attention no other rock album ever got in stores and rock sites. Complete bullshit what you just wrote. One of the silliest posts I've read lately. Yikes.

2. The 'band' felt nothing. They were probably dying inside with every AXL (owner of the band, in total control of everything) delay. I can assure you, every musician was really happy and satisfied with their work. Be sure of that. Seriously dude, in every interview about CD and CD2 they said the same thing. "Up to Axl", "Can't tell you", "Axl is still doing this and that...". What you just wrote is insulting. The fine details.... Oh... That's cute. EVERY SINGLE BAND deals with the fine details just... fine. I mean, the CD cover was decided in 1999, 2000? Ok. Then you have the booklet. Axl had a decade and millions of dollars from the label to do whatever he wanted. MY GOD HOW DIFFICULT CD WAS HELL!!!! Yeah, good one dude. If only small bands had the STRUGGLES and DIFFICULTIES and lived THE HELL that was the CD process.

Too bad there's not a facepalm button here. Your post was insulting. I hope this doesn't get deleted.

10 hours ago, maynard said:

In this post BS blames people for CD being a failure, that was a new excuse. My response:

He responded with an almost all CAPS post

He is clearly mad, because you roasted his opinion

He will probably run to the nearest shop to buy the latest shit Marvel "franchise" Blu Ray to ease his pain, lol

Then again, he's got a fucking CD booklet tattoo, what would you expect?

transGeNdeR :o

Post of the month

Edited by Budd Dwyer

12 hours ago, Budd Dwyer said:

He responded with an almost all CAPS post

He is clearly mad, because you roasted his opinion

He will probably run to the nearest shop to buy the latest shit Marvel "franchise" Blu Ray to ease his pain, lol

Then again, he's got a fucking CD booklet tattoo, what would you expect?

Post of the month

LOLOLOLOL his response was priceless. He really got mad.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-gnr-w458836

There is definitely some material got held up, even from the mid 90's. The interview is great, if you're a fan of Tommy. If not, here is the most interesting part

It's nice that someone is actually talking about this band also it's very sad that it's ex band members talking more about past recording than current band members talking about present recordings 

Meanwhile, Stinson was still a member of Guns N' Roses up until June 2014. "I wasn't intending to quit Guns N' Roses," he says. "But I had to tell them, I think, five times in a row my situation at home was so screwed up I couldn't tour. I hope that was the thing that pushed the reunion [with Slash and Duff McKagan] to happen, because I know all those guys and they're having a ball. I saw the tour twice. I'm glad for them."

Incidentally, Stinson says there's a wealth of recordings Guns N' Roses made during his tenure that have yet to be released. "There's some stuff with lyrics, some without," he says. "We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There's also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there's some stuff that should someday see the light of day."

Edited by Budd Dwyer

A wealth of recorded material. Including leftovers from the classic lineup days. A bunch of material that was supposed to be cd2.

Yet just one album from Axl in the last 25 years. This guy loves his fans. 

notice he says some have lyrics but not actually recorded vocals. CD2 seems to be a collection of instrumental[insert number] copy/paste mess.

55 minutes ago, maynard said:

notice he says some have lyrics but not actually recorded vocals. CD2 seems to be a collection of instrumental[insert number] copy/paste mess.

I noticed that too.

Objectively zero recorded vocals. :lol:

What about the stuff left over from the old band though! And we know there are some finished Cd2 songs. 

The remix album is one of the most terrible ideas in this history of GnR's career. Ludicrous. 

2017. Release CD2 on iTunes. All the remaining songs in the vault that are tied to nu-gnr - put them in iTunes for 99 cents each. 

Publish the remix album for free on the band's website. Release it all for free. 

Take the 6-7 best songs from the "old band" and then write and record 4-5 new songs with them - and release that album this year as soon as possible. 

Pretty simple. 

Throw the fans a bone. The ones who have supported Axl for 30 years - suck it up and just release some fucking music for fhem to enjoy. 

It's not time for new music.

They have to keep milking the cow 'till the end of the tour.

Then we'll see  ...