• Announcements

• John Bonham

It's GNFNR fundraising time again, please help us stay on-line   05/27/2017

Thanks to everyone who makes this place so much fun to visit, and THANK YOU to everyone who donated last January. The good news/bad news is that GunsNFNRoses has outgrown its current hosting plan, and if we want to stay online we are going to need to upgrade.   You can donate any amount, large or small (via PayPal). My PayPal username is matt.grillo@gmail.com Please enter your forum username so I can match up your contribution with your username. Thank you!   Every dollar helps. If you don't have PayPal a simple check would do. You can mail it directly to me, please PM me for my mailing address. I appreciate your support.   I do not want banner ads here so if you can help us out it would be appreciated. I dislike begging for money for the site but such is life... Thanks for understanding. I really appreciate all of your support. Please help  by donating now, THANK YOU GNFNR MEMBERS!
magisme

CD2 Deniers' Safe Space

291 posts in this topic

Dead men release music with more regularity than Axl. Sad!

Sad thing - or maybe it's just weird - is that people actually praise Axl for not releasing music. Saying he takes so long because he deeply cares about the GnR legacy and only wants to release the highest quality work possible.

These people also aren't aware of him firing Slash, hiring a guy who work a mask and KFC bucket on his head, and has had a revolving door of musicians in the band, including DJ Ashba. These people have also never heard Anything Goes, My World and Scraped.

Sad thing - or maybe it's just weird - is that people actually praise Axl for not releasing music. Saying he takes so long because he deeply cares about the GnR legacy and only wants to release the highest quality work possible.

These people also aren't aware of him firing Slash, hiring a guy who work a mask and KFC bucket on his head, and has had a revolving door of musicians in the band, including DJ Ashba. These people have also never heard Anything Goes, My World and Scraped.

Understanding why Axl takes so long to release music is not the same as praising him for it. What's the reason then? why do you think that is?

Lazy? doesn't give a fuck? preoccupied with fuckin' models, eating chili burgers, and drinking while making more money? yeah...I don't think so. He is obsessive when it comes to his music. He wanted to delay and tinker with UYI some more. Now he has enough control to tinker with his shit for years until he is absolutely sure it is perfect. (in his opinion, according to his taste)

Why tarnish the legacy with disposable shit when you can take as long as you want to get it right? you think I enjoy waiting 8 years for CD ll, only to hear it's not going to be soon again? lol. I fuckin' hate it. But I understand why, and I'm not going to pretend Axl is a normal musician, or expect him to release an album every 2 years.

I'm just being reasonable.

Edited by Rovim

Understanding why Axl takes so long to release music is not the same as praising him for it. What's the reason then? why do you think that is?

Lazy? doesn't give a fuck? preoccupied with fuckin' models, eating chili burgers, and drinking while making more money? yeah...I don't think so. He is obsessive when it comes to his music. He wanted to delay and tinker with UYI some more. Now he has enough control to tinker with his shit for years until he is absolutely sure it is perfect. (in his opinion, according to his taste)

Why tarnish the legacy with disposable shit when you can take as long as you want to get it right? you think I enjoy waiting 8 years for CD ll, only to hear it's not going to be soon again? lol. I fuckin' hate it. But I understand why, and I'm not going to pretend Axl is a normal musician, or expect him to release an album every 2 years.

Legacys are created by your best work - not your worst. Rolling Stones have released like 50 albums. Many of those albums aren't even good enough for ONE song to make the touring setlist. Entire albums are just fading after thoughts when people talk about the Stones probably being the worlds greatest rock band of all time.

When debating if they are the greatest rock band of all time people bring up their best albums and their best songs.

When people talk about GnR's place in rock history they bring up Appetite. They bring November Rain - not This I Love. People mention SCOM and Jungle - not My World and Scraped.

A 2017 GnR album isn't going to wreck the importance and legacy of Appetite, Illusions and Lies.

You say you are being "reasonable" about Axl. But you are actually just sharing your opinion which is based purely on your own speculation.

Axl renting studios and instruments and equipment for years at a time without ever touching them......Axl not showing up for writing sessions, studio time and rehearsals with the old band......those would seem to fly in the face of your opinion on why Axl chooses to not share his music.

Axl tinkers with CD to death. So much so that his tinkering actually ruined the album to a lot of diehard Axl fans, who loved the more raw and "organic" feel of the leaks.

You say Axl is going for perfection. That's 100% speculation on your part.

Bottom line is that none of us know what goes through that guy's head. The more reasonable and logical explanation - based on what we know or the guy - is that he doesn't really "care" about his fans, the tinkering is because he is extremely insecure about his abilities, and yes - he went from being a street urchin high school drop out and basically a loser - to a year later he has a million bucks in the bank, is banging models and has people worshiping him like a king. Dude has gotten lazy af. And there is no indication that he is a highly intelligent guy or a musical genius. He just has a very unique voice and creative writing style.

That make more logical sense than saying he is this creative genius who is tying to create the perfect album before he'll release it

Like I've said a million times. I personally love half of CD. Listen to it more than I listen to the Illusions. IMO CD is only considered a failure because it represents 25 years of work. No album can fill those shoes. But if Axl had released five albums in those 25 years that were all the exact same "quality" as CD? People wouldn't be calling it a failure - because it would only represent a few years of work. Would Axl's solo GnR era be bashed so much if we had five songs the same quality level as Better...five songs the same level as TWAT...five songs the same level as Catcher...of course not. CD isn't good enough to represent 25 years of a career. But IMO it was solid enough to represent five years, and of that band had four more additional albums to go along with it.

All my opinion, of course.

1 person likes this

Hopeless. Just hopeless Apollo. Never said Axl was a genius. And The Stones example you gave IN MY OPINION is exactly the reason for the delays. Axl doesn't want Gn'R albums to be just fading afterthoughts. Why? cause he does give a shit.

I think... it's just me...I believe he wants it to count, so you know... 4 or 5 tunes from each album that some fans will consider good enough to always go back to. And not that easy to achieve for Axl either it seems. He doesn't let go of it until he is sure he wants to release it and there's nothing he can do to improve it. (just speculation)

Isn't that what happened with Chinese? not like The Stones is it? or Metallica and St. Magnetic. Artistically it has more value to me.

Better, There Was A Time, Catcher, Street Of Dreams are AAA tunes, good enough to join the Gn'R catalog. (just my silly opinion)

You don't seem to get it at all. You're just going in circles expecting Axl to be this confident and prolific musician when in reality, he is obsessive and he does have a problem of letting it go.

His self importance means a musical statement must be made with each release, his standards perhaps different to what you are willing to accept as a fan.

Edited by Rovim

But you sound like warchild

lol

I ain't crazy. Fuck your strawman.

Edited by Rovim

lol

"Why tarnish the legacy with disposable shit when you can take as long as you want to get it right? "

Axl himself proved you wrong when he released Chinese Democracy. With every tinkering, the UYI's got worse and worse. Same applies to CD

Your argument ends there, imho

Edited by Budd Dwyer
2 people like this

"Why tarnish the legacy with disposable shit when you can take as long as you want to get it right? "

Axl himself proved you wrong when he released Chinese Democracy. With every tinkering, the UYI's got worse and worse. Same applies to CD

I don't know... I think it helped in some ways, and maybe detracted in others, but I like the final product. If Chinese was released in 1999, There Was A Time would have been boring without Bucket's outro for example.

And I like what Bumble added to it, so I'm satisfied with the final version of Chinese. UYI had a lot of sound fx, but I think some of what Axl added and the production were great. Civil War sounds cinematic with Axl's intro, Pretty Tied Up with the perils of rock n' roll decadence, etc. Coma's bitches and KOHD's sound fx were a bit much for me though, the phone call... not a big fan of that.

Edited by Rovim

lol

Dude - Rovin actually said (in so many words) that he would prefer Axl keep his artistic integrity by releasing one album every 20 years than be a band that releases music like The Rolling Stones. Think about that when you try and have a discussion with him about Axl.

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. I would much rather have 10 albums of his since 1995 as opposed to just having one.

I have more respect for an artist who is willing to push himself, take artistic chances, and cares about his fans more than he does his legacy over a singer who doesn't share his music with his fans - regardless of what his reason is.

Of course, I'm just speculating about Axl's motives. Rovin has inside information about Axl's psyche that the rest of us aren't privy too.

Dude - Rovin actually said (in so many words) that he would prefer Axl keep his artistic integrity by releasing one album every 20 years than be a band that releases music like The Rolling Stones. Think about that when you try and have a discussion with him about Axl.

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. I would much rather have 10 albums of his since 1995 as opposed to just having one.

I have more respect for an artist who is willing to push himself, take artistic chances, and cares about his fans more than he does his legacy over a singer who doesn't share his music with his fans - regardless of what his reason is.

Of course, I'm just speculating about Axl's motives. Rovin has inside information about Axl's psyche that the rest of us aren't privy too.

Don't be an idiot. Never said those things. Never claimed to have inside info. You're doing it again: instead of addressing my posts directly, you just wiggle your way around what I really said and just make it about me cause you probably got nothing like always. Sad!

Edited by Rovim

I guess then it's Axl's view of himself or what he wants to do. He could release all kinds of rubbish and not ruin the reunion cash grab. But he wants more than that. Maybe he's trying too hard. Always did maybe. Wouldn't get Estranged or Nov Rain unless Axl gave a shit and was somewhat difficult. GNR are having a pretty strong slow burning career. I would compare the discography to Zepp or The doors stretched over a longer period. It's like they only put out the Achtung Baby and don't bother with Zooropa and Pop.

I think the label are working GNR for the most they can. They don't want Axl out of contract before the reunion album. It might not be relevant now. But early 2000s Axl running off with GNR doing a CD trilogy was probably not what they wanted. They probably thought by 2002 CD would be over and the reunion record would sell a truckload in 2004.

Edited by wasted
1 person likes this

Selling out is for dead rock stars.

Says the Taco Bell jingle writer
Nobody ever accused a whore of selling out

Said the Genie of Kiss to the Axl from Mars

1 person likes this

CD2 doesn't exist.

And they say the stars don't look the same

I may have changed yet I have my soul to claim

1 person likes this

It's crazy that the vault was so empty that Axl had to scramble and put Scraped on CD with the blip and everything.

Poor guy wanted to go magnum opus so bad he just kind of pissed himself in fear and couldn't even come up with one decent album. Now there's nothing left but Buckethead instrumentals. So sad.

2 people like this

Scraped is my most played song on CD. I like the energy and swagger of it.

I guess CD does sound like a mixtape sometimes. But I see that as value for money. It's just rammed with music, different styles and productions. Whereas as most cds I buy are just flat boring. Same old production. I have to cobble together playlists from 10 artists to get a decent cd.

I don't listen to CD all the way through anymore, so it's almost irrelevant but there's still a bunch of good songs on there. Riad is one I like again for the energy, Twat and Catcher are fun to listen to on a stereo. Sorry is a great power ballad.

CD is Latter Day Zepp for me, I hope there's at least one more cd of this kind of material. With Slash giving it a more hard rock sound.

1 person likes this

Axl wanted to prove that he was GNR and then couldn't come up with one song as good as real GNR's average songs. Poor guy.

Maybe someday he'll muster the courage to sing over one of the Buckethead songs that he claimed. Probably not, though.

:lol: You think Buckethead did more than pluck strings for Axl to digitally manipulate. 

Edited by Damn_Smooth
1 person likes this

Axl wanted to prove that he was GNR and then couldn't come up with one song as good as real GNR's average songs. Poor guy.

Maybe someday he'll muster the courage to sing over one of the Buckethead songs that he claimed. Probably not, though.

you try to hurt me. yeah you know that you do (I typed that in a reggae accent btw)

It probably hurts Axl so much that CD songs are so terrible. You can tell that he's really trying, but he just doesn't have the chops. Every song on the album sounds incredibly amateur. It's undeniable. So embarrassing to try to pretend that it's the same band when the quality is so much worse. Poor guy wanted it so bad.

2 people like this