• Announcements

• John Bonham

It's GNFNR fundraising time again, please help us stay on-line   05/27/2017

Thanks to everyone who makes this place so much fun to visit, and THANK YOU to everyone who donated last January. The good news/bad news is that GunsNFNRoses has outgrown its current hosting plan, and if we want to stay online we are going to need to upgrade.   You can donate any amount, large or small (via PayPal). My PayPal username is matt.grillo@gmail.com Please enter your forum username so I can match up your contribution with your username. Thank you!   Every dollar helps. If you don't have PayPal a simple check would do. You can mail it directly to me, please PM me for my mailing address. I appreciate your support.   I do not want banner ads here so if you can help us out it would be appreciated. I dislike begging for money for the site but such is life... Thanks for understanding. I really appreciate all of your support. Please help  by donating now, THANK YOU GNFNR MEMBERS!
Miser

Let's talk Izzy

387 posts in this topic

I really don't believe that.

A lot of the issues that made their respective solo work underwhelming was the fact the other personel was involved.

Now is this more than a cash grab nostalgia act most likely no.

But that is there choice they have the ability to do and create a real authentic gnr album.

How do you expect them to create a real authentic GNR album without the guy who they've never made original music without?

Because I think it will sound awesome. This is not to discredit Izzy contributions.

But let's not act like Izzy did everything he was very MIA during the UYI sessions and writing.

Well my personal taste would be less songs such as Bad Obsession and Think About You.

So different strokes for different folks.

As long as we agree Scraped and My World are fucking trash songs.

1 person likes this

I wonder how Izzy felt about Teddy Zig Zag.

Who the fuck was that guy? :lol: Was he one of Axl's people?

Session keyboard/harmonica guy, worked with Slash and Gilby later on after GNR disbanded.

My question is who the fuck is west arkeen

Actually West Arkeen helped them to write songs. In fact, you may never know which ideas are from him on the UYI's

It's so easy is a West Arkeen song and it's still a staple. 

Yesterdays performed by West Arkeen with GNR (as Drunk Fux)

Arkeen co-wrote "It's So Easy," "Crash Diet", "Bad Obsession", "The Garden", "Sentimental Movie" and "Yesterdays" for Guns N' Roses. Arkeen also penned "Make Your Play" and "Pressure" forBrother Cane, as well as co-wrote "My Misery" for Phantom Blue. In the late 80's, Arkeen lived in an apartment next to Duff Mckagan and Sly Stone.

After working on other songs with the band for their double set Use Your Illusion I and II, Arkeen started his own project in 1995, The Outpatience. Featuring vocalist Mike Shotton, bassist James Hunting, guitarist Joey Hunting, drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. and keyboardist Gregg Buchwalter, the band released their debut album, Anxious Disease in 1996 in Japan. The album has connections to Guns N' Roses: Axl RoseSlash and Duff McKagan appear as guest artists and Izzy Stradlin co-wrote one of the songs.

Izzy Stradlin and Duff McKagan are most closely associated with Arkeen. The trio played in the The Drunkfuxs side project together and Arkeen co-wrote two of the songs on McKagan's debut solo record, Believe in Me.

Duff McKagan credits Arkeen with teaching him about alternate tuning on guitar.[2] Slash said stated that Arkeen was "the only one that always came through when any of us needed anything; for a long time he literally was the only one we could trust"[3] The Guns N' Roses album Live Era: '87-'93 was dedicated, in part, to his memory.

Edited by Budd Dwyer

Forum is shitty with miser and wasted spamming. Jb should do something. This place is looking like mygnr

This reunion is boring the tits off of me, but having said that, the suggestion that Axl/Slash/Duff are not capable of making music together without Izzy's involvement is ludicrous. Both together as a band and separately, they have written enough great songs without Izzy to prove that they don't NEED him. That's not to say his involvement wouldn't potentially improve the overall quality of any future music (lol), Izzy is a great songwriter, but he isn't and never was the be all and end all to GNR's songwriting. Fans who suggest otherwise are wearing Izzy-tinted glasses.

Forum is shitty with miser and wasted spamming. Jb should do something. This place is looking like mygnr

Both of them are fine in moderation, but shit in excess. To deal with it becomes a question of how much moderation is too much and when does GNFNR become a controlled police state.

1 person likes this

Long story short is that they need, and I mean *need* Izzy if they actually make an album of new music. But not for touring. That being said, there's a missing link in the aurora of seeing them on stage without him, even if they manage to sonically sound like gnr were always meant to sound (which in my opinion, they do). Still sucks major dick if they really cut him out out of pure greed. And if he was actually willing to commit for the long haul. There's shades of gray in any of the other possible circumstances.

Edited by Bobbo

I've always liked Locomotive, especially the outro. 

I couldn't give a shit if I never heard Coma again.

As for Izzy...hard to say really. 

Touring he seems to be too unreliable in this day and age. Why should they jeopardize the whole tour because he is flaky as fuck. Why should they pay him more if they can't trust/rely on him?

Of course you could say they could have Fortus on standby or indeed onstage too but maybe Fortus/Izzy won't agree to that. 

We just don't know. 

Regarding an album. Cross that bridge when (if) they ever get to it. 

1 person likes this

This reunion is boring the tits off of me, but having said that, the suggestion that Axl/Slash/Duff are not capable of making music together without Izzy's involvement is ludicrous. Both together as a band and separately, they have written enough great songs without Izzy to prove that they don't NEED him. That's not to say his involvement wouldn't potentially improve the overall quality of any future music (lol), Izzy is a great songwriter, but he isn't and never was the be all and end all to GNR's songwriting. Fans who suggest otherwise are wearing Izzy-tinted glasses.

Izzy's involvement would just make it easier. A lot of what the fans want back is tunes. Axl epics and Slash metal is nice but album just full of that isn't a reunion record.

But maybe to most fans GNR is hits like Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry, YCBM and even if Izzy wrote some of them it's Axl and Slash's aesethetic or dynamic that is really powering those songs. Maybe.

So maybe we don't need Izzy to make a GNR album. Duff can step up with some songs too. Maybe Axl and Slash can write a couple of hit type songs to add to the cannon. Maybe Slash will take Atlas Shrugged to classic status.

Sometimes I just think it will be Axl singing on a Slash solo record. For the most part that might work. For 10 tracks it would be nice.

I'm more interested in Slash on CD II. GNR move on to the year 2030.

Izzy's involvement would just make it easier. A lot of what the fans want back is tunes. Axl epics and Slash metal is nice but album just full of that isn't a reunion record.

But maybe to most fans GNR is hits like Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City, November Rain, Don't Cry, YCBM and even if Izzy wrote some of them it's Axl and Slash's aesethetic or dynamic that is really powering those songs. Maybe.

So maybe we don't need Izzy to make a GNR album. Duff can step up with some songs too. Maybe Axl and Slash can write a couple of hit type songs to add to the cannon. Maybe Slash will take Atlas Shrugged to classic status.

Sometimes I just think it will be Axl singing on a Slash solo record. For the most part that might work. For 10 tracks it would be nice.

Why does it have to be one or the other? The whole point of being in a band is to take the best of your collective ideas and bring them together to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Slash could bring some of the Appetite sound that was so lacking from CD and Axl could help make the songs sound less generic. Slash did some cool AFD-sounding stuff with Myles, but if he had presented those same ideas to Axl instead of Myles, I have no doubt those songs would've been brought to a whole other level.

Thats why they need each other. Seperately they are good, together they are great.

People act like all Axl can write is big ballads and all Slash can do is rock/metal, but there are plenty of songs both in the GNR catalogue and outside of it that prove they are not that one dimensional. Slash has done some good shit that doesnt necessarily sound like what people would expect from him... Saint Is A Sinner Too, Beneath The Savage Sun, The Unholy, Messages.

And CD, for all its production flaws, at least shows that Axl can write more than just cheesy piano ballads.

Why does it have to be one or the other? The whole point of being in a band is to take the best of your collective ideas and bring them together to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Slash could bring some of the Appetite sound that was so lacking from CD and Axl could help make the songs sound less generic. Slash did some cool AFD-sounding stuff with Myles, but if he had presented those same ideas to Axl instead of Myles, I have no doubt those songs would've been brought to a whole other level.

Thats why they need each other. Seperately they are good, together they are great.

People act like all Axl can write is big ballads and all Slash can do is rock/metal, but there are plenty of songs both in the GNR catalogue and outside of it that prove they are not that one dimensional. Slash has done some good shit that doesnt necessarily sound like what people would expect from him... Saint Is A Sinner Too, Beneath The Savage Sun, The Unholy, Messages.

And CD, for all its production flaws, at least shows that Axl can write more than just cheesy piano ballads.

I want to believe.

But the problem is what is missing is Izzy to make sound AFD. He held Slash from just doing endless riff intros.

Agree parts of the last Slash solo had these AFD moments but it was not internal to the songs, it was stylistic motifs or just the production sound.

Then on CD Axl's songs were mainly piano ballads. Freese Chi dem riff, Shacklers is Bucket, Better is Finck. I assume although Dizzy did the piano intro to SOD it's an Axl song, same with Twat, Catcher, TIL, Prostitute, Madagascar.

I have to say it's hard to say what Axl does? He's like the GNR filter all the songs go through.

Axl is the most talented. He can write Dead Horse or Nov Rain. He can elevate Del songs to classics.

From Slashs solo and Izzy solo and the CD. Axl is GNR. The other guys can't put together GNR songs like Axl.

2 people like this