Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

IRVING AZOFF RESPONDS TO AXL ROSE LEGAL CLAIM

Earlier this year, we reported on Axl Rose's bombshell claims against Live Nation chairman Irving Azoff. Now comes the response.

Azoff, as head of Front Line Management, which once represented Guns 'n' Roses, is suing Rose claiming the rocker violated an oral agreement to pay 15% of earnings, or nearly $2 million, from a lucrative concert tour. Rose responded by filing a countersuit that claimed Azoff had gained enormous power in the music industry by involving himself in the "trifecta" of artist management, concert and touring promotion. Rose contended that Azoff had insufficiently promoted his "Chinese Democracy" album, lied about tour dates, and was trying to bully Rose into a full Guns 'n Roses reunion.

At the time, Azoff's lawyer, Howard King, was incredulous. He quipped, "Rose didn't accuse Irving of being on the grassy knoll in Dallas on November 22, 1963?"

Alas, the countersuit is stil on the docket, and earlier this month Azoff filed an official answer to Rose's charges.

Azoff offers up 14 affirmative defenses to Rose's claims he breached fiduciary duty, committed constructive fraud and breached a contract.

Among them: the claims are barred by statute of limitations; there was a waiver; There was an accord and satisfaction; that Rose consented to Azoff's actions; that Rose failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage; and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct.

No word yet on the timing of a jury trial, but given the personalities involved, this could be a barn-burner.

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/10/axl-rose-lawsuit.html

Any one else thinking that 2011 might just be a "Legal-troubles-only" year?

Axl is looking like a fool, how can Axl sue Azoff for so called not promoting CD when Axl did not promote it himself?

How can Azoff promote something if Axl won't do interviews, and would not play shows right after CD was released?

I think he did the best he could, hell it "scammed" 15m from best buy for the exclusive rights to CD.

Its really a joke Axl would even try to sue him.

Azoff is essentially saying that he did nothing wrong and whatever went wrong was Axl's fault. What else is he going to say in a response to the countersuit?

Things still have to play out in court.

Ali

^ do you doubt that it wasn't Axl's fault????

I know couch's are comfotable, but getting one's ass of it to promote 15 years work might make someone do it...

dPv

Axl is not going to come out of this on top. For someone who seems so susceptible to stress, why does he put himself through all of these lawsuits?

The tour goes out with a fizzle and now he's entering another round of legal embattlement. :facepalm:

^ do you doubt that it wasn't Axl's fault????

I know couch's are comfotable, but getting one's ass of it to promote 15 years work might make someone do it...

dPv

I don't think Axl authorized the use of an unapproved draft of the liner notes, no. That was one of the claims in the countersuit. As far as the promotion, obviously Axl didn't do any. But, that wasn't the entire scope of his countersuit vs. Azoff.

Ali

The tour goes out with a fizzle and now he's entering another round of legal embattlement. :facepalm:

Do you all think Axl's going to return to the road this December with the same show he's been playing since Asia - or with something different?

I doubt we'll see or here from Axl for about another 4 years. He'll then hit the road with the same setlist as always, however, he'll have a new lineup again, and Ali will explain to us all how amazing Axl ass is.

I doubt we'll see or here from Axl for about another 4 years. He'll then hit the road with the same setlist as always, however, he'll have a new lineup again, and Ali will explain to us all how amazing Axl ass is.

Strange thing is that you talk as if he ever done it.

From 2002 to 2006 line-up changes: 2.

From 2006 to 2010 line-up changes: 2.

Yeah, it's a whole different line-up.

And same setlist as always? There's must be something wrong, because I don't remeber Shackler's Revenge, Whole Lotta Rosie, This I Love, Sorry, Scraped, Ballad Of Death and Nice Boys ond the past tours. Not to mention TWAT and others songs that are rarely played, but still, played on the tour.

And well, between 2002 and 2006 we got almost nothing, ok. But between 2006 and 2010 we got two huge tours and one kick-ass album.

Do you all think Axl's going to return to the road this December with the same show he's been playing since Asia - or with something different?

Unless he releases the warmed over leftovers from the ChiDem session to breath some new life into the setlist what else is he going to do? Anything is possible but I doubt he has any finished music in the can with the current band so unless he wants to dig deeper into the old bands catalog and play more UYI stuff it will probably be the same mix of old AFD warhorses and ChiDem stuff...He could always give the old GnR stuff a makeover in concert...Robert Plant did this with old Zep stuff during one of his recent solo tours and I thought he did a nice job reinventing some of those old songs...nah probably the same old stuff in December.........

And same setlist as always? There's must be something wrong, because I don't remeber Shackler's Revenge, Whole Lotta Rosie, This I Love, Sorry, Scraped, Ballad Of Death and Nice Boys ond the past tours. Not to mention TWAT and others songs that are rarely played, but still, played on the tour.

Ballad of Death? Who gives a shit about that? It's not even remotely a GNR song...just some guitar wank filler between REAL songs. Sheesh.

But not to be a complete asshole, yeah, it's cool to get more "Rosie"...strange that yet ANOTHER cover would be one of the better additions to the setlist as opposed to the few songs they added from CD. I like Scraped too. But the two best songs, TWAT and Catcher, remain rare and elusive. Guess that makes them all the more special when they DO play them.

After all, Coma, Locomotive, and Breakdown weren't exactly setlist staples....but it's awesome that they were played even a handful of times.

I'd stop bitching about setlists once and for all if he just performed Estranged even ONE more time. He even said in a chat once that he would, but hell...Axl says lots of shit.

Strange thing is that you talk as if he ever done it.

From 2002 to 2006 line-up changes: 2.

From 2006 to 2010 line-up changes: 2.

And well, between 2002 and 2006 we got almost nothing, ok. But between 2006 and 2010 we got two huge tours and one kick-ass album.

Come on man, most of the set list has been the same since 2000.

75% of the set list they play now they were playing back in 2000.

They added a few covers and a few new Cd songs. Axl should be playing 8-10 CD songs a night. Who cares if they added rosie or nice boys, how about making CD songs staples instead of cover songs?

As for the new songs, he has been playing, CD, the blues and maddy since 2000, and twat, irs,better etc since 2006.

The list list has not changed much at all save a handful of shows where he played a lot of new CD songs. Every show on this tour should be like the CA leg where he was busting out a ton of CD songs

Unless he releases the warmed over leftovers from the ChiDem session to breath some new life into the setlist what else is he going to do? Anything is possible but I doubt he has any finished music in the can with the current band so unless he wants to dig deeper into the old bands catalog and play more UYI stuff it will probably be the same mix of old AFD warhorses and ChiDem stuff...He could always give the old GnR stuff a makeover in concert...Robert Plant did this with old Zep stuff during one of his recent solo tours and I thought he did a nice job reinventing some of those old songs...nah probably the same old stuff in December.........

The only stuff he has finished are probably the 28-36 songs they did for CD.

Those songs are said to have Ron and Frank on them (like CD did).

So the only person who would not be on it is DJ.

Axl should just release that ablum, then make a new album with the current line up while we wait

Axl should just release that ablum, then make a new album with the current line up while we wait

Like I said, warmed over leftovers from the ChiDem session. Even if Ron and Frank did play on them they written before most of the current members were even in the band...I think ChiDem is a very good effort but it is not my cup of tea and I have only listened to it a couple of times all the way through so I can't get excited about more ChiDem leftovers that did not make the first cut...But I would be interested in new music by the current lineup so I hope Axl does not drag his feet this time and writes and records with the new band while they have some momentum.......

Edited by classicrawker

Like I said, warmed over leftovers from the ChiDem session. Even if Ron and Frank did play on them they written before most of the current members were even in the band...I think ChiDem is a very good effort but it is not my cup of tea and I have only listened to it a couple of times all the way through so I can't get excited about more ChiDem leftovers that did not make the first cut...But I would be interested in new music by the current lineup so I hope Axl does not drag his feet this time and writes and records with the new band while they have some momentum.......

CD would have been a much better album if it did not have so many unneeded layers.

At the core of most of the songs, they are really great songs.

And if you did not like CD you would probably hate the rest of the songs since I am pretty sure they were even more industrial than what we heard on CD.

I am sure there are a few rockers but I dont want to see Axl just have the new band redo the CD sessions, i want them to wirte their own stuff.

That is why Axl should just release a box set of CD sessions this xmas to tide us over until they write their own album

I dunno, I really liked Chinese Democracy. :shrugs:

That said, the never-ending Chinese Democracy Tour needs to wrap up one of these years. It's due time to move on to other things...

I think CD was the worst Gnr album! Amd my grampa has and Al bum!

Fuck me, not even one hit, ..not even hit, but one song that "made it"...nope, not one! The album failed, failed, failed!!! Sucked, really sucked!!

Ali

haha you idiots, do you really think the kids would want to hear "cornshucker" fuck no. Just close your eyes, beat yourself around the head, pour beer on your clothes, chuck £50 down the gutter and cry whilst listening to "Shotgun Blues" if your that way inclined. Maybe then you will enjoy your own little concert performance

Edited by TurkeyTwizzler