Conor

Your Favourite Performances

What's been your favourite concert by Guns N' Roses? This includes anything from 1985 - 2010.

Personally, it is without a doubt the last concert by Classic Guns, 17th July 1993, Estadio River Plate. It's got the best performances of Nightrain/November Rain/Paradise City, hands down. This show is incredible. It's a real shame, Guns hit their peak for me at this show. Every inch of the band is on fire. Paris 1993 also stands out for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAePkOVSNY

Old Guns: Tokyo '88

1988 being their peak year, and this show one of the best of that year.

New Guns: Rock in Rio III

To me, the classic "new Guns" lineup, and the classic "new Guns" show.

These change depending on mood but for now these are my favorites

1. Perkins Palace 12/30/87......One of the last small club shows on their home turf and the band is tight but loose that night with Slash playing a lot of tasty fills so the songs are just a little different from the album versions and it is a VG+ sounding SB recording so a nice listen.

2. The Sundance, Bay Shore NY 10/16/87...Love the 87 shows as the band is working out the AFD arrangments and still fired up to play the songs as they are still fresh..This is a nice small club headlining show and the band is fired up. Very strong performance.........and it is a VG+ audience recording nice and clear with just a little compression keeping it from being EX....

3. L'Amour, Brooklyn NY 10/29/87......Another club headlining show...Not as strong a performance as the above show but still very good with a lot of energy...Slash fucks up the opening to SCOM but he recovers quickly and strangely it sounds cool...Ex audience recording which makes you feel like you are in the crowd...I was at this show so I may be a little biased but one to seek out if you don't already have the audio.........

Edited by classicrawker

My favorite show is Ritz 88. Some say Slash's guitar is out of tune, I say it is the rawest greatest rock concert I've ever seen. Axl jumping in the crowd at the end of Paradise City while Slash is going off on his solo is amazing. When Axl finally gets back on stage and finishes the song while looking at his injured hand is awesome. No Traci and Roberta. No Dizzy Reed. Just the real original 5.

Also, by far my favorite KOHD:

Edited by SONOFABITCH

85-93:

Paradise City @ Freddie Mercury tribute show

00-10:

This I Love @ Edmonton 2010

(simply because it was the best moment of the concert I attended)

Don't Cry- 18th of January 1986, The Roxy. That whole show is magic, but that is the best performance of Don't Cry ever.

The whole Argentina '93 show.

Paradise City Ritz '88

Late show '88- You're Crazy

There's more but I can't think of them right now.

My alltime favorite Axl performance is 'We Will Rock You' at The Concert For Life.

My favorite show is probably 12.13.91 at MSG. If I could get a soundboard version of that show, then I could die in peace.

Tell you what. The 12.19.2009 Tokyo show is amazing. Its the only new band show that I think stands up as an alltimer, no problem.

December 19, 2006 Universal City, CA Gibson Ampitheatre - Izzy played a couple JAMS!

September 15, 1992 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome - GNR/Metallica Stadium Tour :( No IZZY!

April 4, 1993 Rapid City, SD Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - The return of IZZY!

December 19, 2006 Universal City, CA Gibson Ampitheatre - Izzy played a couple JAMS!

September 15, 1992 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome - GNR/Metallica Stadium Tour :( No IZZY!

April 4, 1993 Rapid City, SD Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - The return of IZZY!

July (30th?? I dunno, it was a Saturday night though), 1991 @ GW Forum in Los Angeles- The show that made me a fan and changed my life in some weird way I have yet to fully understand. Like Slash's Aerosmith Rocks story, 10 minutes into Guns's set I totally forgot about the girl I went there with.

September 23, 2006; KROQ Inland Invasion- I'll never forget how the place exploded when the band came on (finally). Was fortunate enough to slip through the cracks and migrate into the back half of the pit, due to some issues security was having literally about 10 seconds before the house light went out.

Guest madison

The Ritz 88 show. The band was raw - yet the chemistry was amazing, and Popcorn Adler was at his best.

My second favorite gig would be the Freddie Mercury tribute show, where Axl takes the stage with Elton John. I still get chills everytime I watch the vid - I love watching Axl burst out onto the stage during "Bohemian Rhapsody," and climb onto the speaker to belt out "So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye. So you think you can love me and leave me to die. Ohhh baby .." And then you see the entire crowd bouncing along to his words.

I get a rush everytime I see it.

This has to be my favorite video of the current band.

What show was that from? It was great.

New Guns: Rock in Rio III

To me, the classic "new Guns" lineup, and the classic "new Guns" show.

if axl was in better shape during this period, THIS band could really have taken off

that bucket madagascar solo is what changed me from a slashite to a buckette.

i watched it late one night in august 2008, pre CD.it changed everything.

before that i just dismissed bucket. your typical lol its a kfc bucket, slash is awesome, have you seen his hat? its fuckin cool. axl is evil, slash is good. anyone who doesnt agree is an idiot.

they i got my head out of my own ass. i think thats part of the reason i dislike some slash fans attitude so much, cause i used to feel the same way. then i saw the light, so to speak. that RiR iii performance is great. its the new guns equivelent of the ritz 88' show, not the greatest technically speaking but thats part of the appeal. the only knock against the ririii show is axls apperance and robin in general. if the big B had had a larger role it would have been better but ill take what i can get.

my favourite performance, its gotta be its so easy RiR III, for 3 reasons

1.my favourite classic gnr song

2.axls rant, get that guy outta here, that guy right there

3.always liked buckets last solo.

there is also a great moment where axl has his arm on buckets shoulder. always loved that. what a team :(

Edited by Turbo Jetts

my favourite performance, its gotta be its so easy RiR III, for 3 reasons

2.axls rant, get that guy outta here, that guy right there

Oh Yeah :) that guy with the Slash tee shirt

Oh Yeah :) that guy with the Slash tee shirt

Didn't Axl say the guy had been giving him shit since the moment he walked out on stage? Not really sure if I can hold it against him if that was the case.

did he really have a slash shirt on or is that just a throw-back to the other thread :slash:

Yes. He really did.The 1:15 mark

Axl: "Hand me that shirt. Hand me that shirt. Thank you."

that RiR iii performance is great. its the new guns equivelent of the ritz 88' show, not the greatest technically speaking but thats part of the appeal. the only knock against the ririii show is axls apperance and robin in general. if the big B had had a larger role it would have been better but ill take what i can get.

i actually like axl's look during this era, even his tubby tummy. except sometimes he gets out of breath and can't hit his notes good. other than that his attitude is amazing, and i don't mind the technical misdemeanors at all. he still reminds me of his old self during this era. But now i don't know who he is- like some stuffy old gent smoking a cuban.. or something. in all honesty i couldn't really get into watching too much of the SA footage recently. i probably missed out on seeing some good performances :shrugs: i hope anywayz, i hate to think he's all but washed up, though i did hear his voice sounding better again. i wonder what he has in the bag ?

Yes. He really did.The 1:15 mark

Axl: "Hand me that shirt. Hand me that shirt. Thank you."

[thanks jb]

do we assume it was a slash shirt, i guess we do

and, who is the guitarist with bh at 1:45?