Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Dizzy Reed solo album

Is this another record that will never see the light of day?

Featuring keyboards and vocals by Dizzy Reed, and lyrics by Del James and Dizzy Reed, the album was recorded over the past 6 years or so in California.

It features guitars by Richard Fortus, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Alex Grossi (Bang Tango, Beautiful Creatures, Adler's Appetite), Todd Youth (Danzig, Murphy’s Law, D-Generation), Whitey Kirst (Iggy Pop), Ricky Warwick (The Almighty), Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint, DC4) and Bobby Hamble (Biohazard).

Bobby Hamble plays on the track "Cheers To Oblivion."

Jeff Duncan plays on the track "Mother Theresa."

Alex Grossi seems to be the "main" guitarist, he claims to have played on every track.

Tommy Stinson, Mike Duda (W.A.S.P.), Greg Coates (The Bangkok 5) and Chuck Wright (Quiet Riot), all share bass duties on the record.

On the drums, Dizzy has Frank Ferrer, Frankie Banelli (Quiet Riot), Mike Dupke (W.A.S.P.) and Adrian Young (No Doubt). Anthony "Tiny" Biuso (The Dickies, T.S.O.L.) also plays drums on two tracks.

The disc is due out sometime this century.

Yeah, I'm going to pass on this album. The Blues didn't impress me enough where I feel like I have to go out and spend 15 bucks to see what else he can do. He ain't Buckethead. Hell, he's not even Bumblefoot.

Why would it have been recorded 6 years ago and not be released? Its not like he has a major record deal and went over budget like Chidem did. Pretty strange really.

Why would it have been recorded 6 years ago and not be released? Its not like he has a major record deal and went over budget like Chidem did. Pretty strange really.

Who knows? The GN'R curse?

Featuring keyboards and vocals by Dizzy Reed, and lyrics by Del James and Dizzy Reed, the album was recorded over the past 9 years or so in California.

It features guitars by Richard Fortus, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Alex Grossi (Bang Tango, Beautiful Creatures, Adler's Appetite), Todd Youth (Danzig, Murphy’s Law, D-Generation), Whitey Kirst (Iggy Pop), Ricky Warwick (The Almighty), Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint, DC4) and Bobby Hamble (Biohazard).

Bobby Hamble plays on the track "Cheers To Oblivion."

Jeff Duncan plays on the track "Mother Theresa."

Alex Grossi seems to be the "main" guitarist, he claims to have played on every track.

Tommy Stinson, Mike Duda (W.A.S.P.), Greg Coates (The Bangkok 5) and Chuck Wright (Quiet Riot), all share bass duties on the record.

On the drums, Dizzy has Frank Ferrer, Frankie Banelli (Quiet Riot), Mike Dupke (W.A.S.P.) and Adrian Young (No Doubt). Anthony "Tiny" Biuso (The Dickies, T.S.O.L.) also plays drums on two tracks.

Hey Marc (recklessroad) -- Any idea why this album keeps getting delayed?

You know he had a really good song on his myspace a few years back. It had a weird name. Would really like to remember what it was called, can someone help me out on that?

It was recorded during those sessions he had for the soundtrack he contributed too but the song never made the cut. Great song if someone remembers the name.

A PM would be great if u got it.

Edited by hellobeatle

Maybe Axl won't allow him to release it as it would make him the one who is responsible for delays and lack of interest in making new music.

I'm surprised at how good Fracas actually is...

The other songs I had seen him do on Youtube kinda sucked but this one is really great.

When Axl said CD2 would be meaner and darker in places, I actually pictured something like that. :thumbsup:

On your mention that you’re always recording and have some things aside, you are working on your solo album.

Yes that is true. It’s actually something I started tracking probably four years ago, so before it gets into ‘Chinese Democracy’ sort of territory I’ve got ten years [laughs]. Just between touring constantly with Guns N’ Roses and when I’m not touring with Guns N’ Roses I’ve done some other things and I’ve actually been out playing the songs that I’ve recorded around America. Right now the whole process is at the stage where I want to get some good mixes of the songs. Once I have a good solid month or two off that’s going to happen and then it will be done for everyone to hear. It will be about twelve songs.

Will it be a rock record or will you be doing something different?

It’s definitely a rock record. All the guys who are in Guns now have at least performed on one song and Richard Fortus, my dear friend, played on a lot of songs.

And you have actually written a song with Ricky Warwick is that correct?

Yes, one of the songs was co-written by Ricky Warwick who of course sings for Thin Lizzy now. He co-wrote one song with Del James and myself and then he played on another song. There are just all kinds of great musicians from all around LA who appear on it. It’s really exciting. I just can’t wait to get into the studio and work on the proper mix now and then get it out.

What’s your release date hopes for it?

This year would be great but I hate to set deadlines for myself and as you know, some records can take a really long time to come out [laughs]. Just happens for some reason in my life, I don’t know why that is [laughs].

Are you doing all of the lead vocals on the record or is that being handled by someone else?

I do all of the lead vocals. It’s just something that I wanted to do and get out of my hair basically. It has been something that has been sitting around for a long time and a lot of people have heard the demos of what I have done and they all told me that I should record it for real and put it out there so I am. Del James came to me with an opportunity and we found a studio and everything just seemed right with that as we were able to get some great performances. I went in there and sang my heart out as they say.

http://espyrock.com/interviews/interview-guns-n-roses-dizzy-reed

I'm curious to hear what this record sounds like if it ever gets released. Dizzy is a pretty good piano player. Not the best by any means, but he is definitely no slouch.

I've actually always like his arrangements, and he may not be the most likeable dude, but he has a decent voice, but I think that if he does this, Axl would'nt be too thrilled about it.. It has all the members on it, and will be GNR referenced all the way, with Axl's pressure building with no album, and facing yet another comparison, it would'nt go down well, and I think Dizzy has it on standby for that very reason..

Dedicate you to your art and lose your paycheck, or get the paycheck and hold back your art.. Tough choice, but I think he would be happier to just get it out there, but luxury is a hard thing to give up, or even contemplate giving up..

Pleased to hear Fortus is on it alot, he's by far my fav' current GNR guitarist..

"Starting about six years ago, I had some demo stuff I was playing for people. My good friend, Del James, who is a jack of all trades with Guns N’ Roses, and who is also a tour manager and co-writer and one my closest friends for about 30 years listened to it and said, ‘We’ve got to get this stuff recorded for real the right way.’ I had ground loops; I was just demoing it for when the time was right. So we found a situation where we could actually go in and do that and recorded 12 songs that I’d written or co-written with Del. A whole bunch of great musicians were kind enough to come in and play on it.

I had to put that on the back burner for a while though. It was getting expensive and I had to pay the bills. I was out with Guns and started doing cool things like The Dead Daisies. So I just recently dusted it off and it’s getting mixed and is going to be out soon. I was kind of worried to go back and listen to it thinking I would want to change everything, which I did at first. If I was allowed to go back and re-record my very first recording in junior high, I’d still be there trying to get it right. You have to move on at some point.

Then I’m still doing my infamous cover band, Hookers & Blow. We just celebrated our 10th anniversary and we have a few shows coming up. September 5th at the Whiskey where we did two residencies last year and September 6th in Las Vegas at Vampd. Then we’re doing an east coast tour so there’ll be lots of fun."

Newswire link: Dizzy Reed: There is a lot of stuff that needs to come out and will come out

As far as his GNR stuff, I always thought he should've been labelled solely as session or live musician. He only played on like 1/2 if UYI and not even on their big piano songs like Nov Rain, Estranged, etc.

I do like his solo stuff though & am looking forward to a release. Fracas is a great song. Wouldn't mind checking out Hookers & Blow too. Any news on their gigs?

It's probably delayed because he doesn't want to go out of pocket to mix master and make CDs. But I don't think many record companies give a shit about a dizzy record.

Also I bet there's some element of not wanting to piss off axl. For some reason.