John O'Brien Benefit / Velvet Revolver Reunion

FULL SHOW:

velvet-revolver-reunion.jpg

AjCTnWNCAAEN4wj.jpg

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Sucker Train Blues

02. She Builds Quick Machines

03. Slither

04. Wish You Were Here (PINK FLOYD cover)

Ai_H-rCCQAEgXnJ.jpg

^ soundcheck photo

Edited by John Bonham

From Duff's blog today

I am playing a show at LA's House of Blues tonight with the original formation of Velvet Revolver, which includes lead singer Scott Weiland. It is a long story, really, but the crux of it is that we are playing a benefit, with proceeds going directly to a friend's wife and her two children. When it comes to the welfare of kids, old grudges or whatever, are put aside. But the fact is that the re-formation of the five of us has got a lot of people talking. Good. Just as long as they buy tickets to this show, right?

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/01/think_before_you_tweet.php#more

From Duff's blog today

I am playing a show at LA's House of Blues tonight with the original formation of Velvet Revolver, which includes lead singer Scott Weiland. It is a long story, really, but the crux of it is that we are playing a benefit, with proceeds going directly to a friend's wife and her two children. When it comes to the welfare of kids, old grudges or whatever, are put aside. But the fact is that the re-formation of the five of us has got a lot of people talking. Good. Just as long as they buy tickets to this show, right?

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/01/think_before_you_tweet.php#more

Hurry up and make an album together you douchebags.

Scott was never a fantastic live performer.

Anyway, cool videos. I had forgotten how awesome Velvet Revolver are. Slash please ditch the solo band and reunite with VR. Or with GNR.

That was a great performance. Suckertrain Blues and Slither absolutely rock and the spirit of GNR lives in those songs. Slash's solo on Slither fucking kicks ass.

But the most amazing part of this is all is....

Duff has been on stage with Axl and Slash within less than a month.....

This is good....

Edited by SONOFABITCH

Anyway, cool videos. I had forgotten how awesome Velvet Revolver are. Slash please ditch the solo band and reunite with VR. Or with GNR.

His performances with VR are spotty at best but he did put in some good ones and his voice was much stronger back then...I think we should be fair in that if we are going to criticize Axl for his voice during some performances this past U.S. tour we should be objective with Scott...as cool as it is to see him on stage with VR again he does not sound good in thosevideos...Sorry if this pisses off some fans but I think Myles sounds better on the VR stuff last tour...........

Even a one off reunion isn't enough to get this band a headlining spot over two Maroon 5 guys.

They would over Coverfoot...............

So would Justin Bieber. What is your point? Talent does not determine billing. Popularity does. I know nothing about VR but I always thought that a band living off the GNR name, playing GNR cover songs, with 3 former GNR band members would be capable of having a headling spot over two guys from Maroon 5. Especially for a one time reunion show.

Guess not. :shrugs:

So if talent does not determine billing it shouldn't matter.

Even a one off reunion isn't enough to get this band a headlining spot over two Maroon 5 guys.

They would over Coverfoot...............

So would Justin Bieber. What is your point? Talent does not determine billing. Popularity does. I know nothing about VR but I always thought that a band living off the GNR name, playing GNR cover songs, with 3 former GNR band members would be capable of having a headling spot over two guys from Maroon 5. Especially for a one time reunion show.

Guess not. :shrugs:

So if talent does not determine billing it shouldn't matter.

+1............. SOB he contradicts his own point in this case..........besides this was a charity show so billing was immaterial.......

Edited by classicrawker

Not that is matters in this case at all except that someone was petty enough to bring it up.......... VR went on last and several reviews have stated that the crowd was there for VR. I'm sure when Dave got this together for his friends family he was not worried how the line ups appeared on stage.

Not that is matters in this case at all except that someone was petty enough to bring it up.......... VR went on last and several reviews have stated that the crowd was there for VR. I'm sure when Dave got this together for his friends family he was not worried how the line ups appeared on stage.

So they did headline?!..................... stirring shit over the listing of artists names on a fucking poster?.......Broski you really are a troll mate............. :thumbsdown:

So they did headline?!..................... stirring shit over the listing of artists names on a fucking poster?.......Broski you really are a troll mate............. :thumbsdown:

Yes they did headline. I'm pretty sure whoever made the posters did not think about some troll on a forum making it an issue.

His performances with VR are spotty at best but he did put in some good ones and his voice was much stronger back then...I think we should be fair in that if we are going to criticize Axl for his voice during some performances this past U.S. tour we should be objective with Scott...as cool as it is to see him on stage with VR again he does not sound good in thosevideos...Sorry if this pisses off some fans but I think Myles sounds better on the VR stuff last tour...........

I think Myles 1000 times better than Weiland.

I wish they recorded a VR album with Myles.

I never liked Scott in VR

DATE: 01/15/12

TITLE: Reunited Velvet Revolver play Sold-out show at House of Blues

TEXT:

When we spoke last week with Velvet Revolver guitarist Dave Kushner about the reason behind the band's one-off reunion, he talked movingly about the impact his late best friend, composer John O'Brien, had on so many in music. That was clear last night when the reunited Velvet Revolver headlined "Love You Madly: A Concert for John O'Brien" at a sold-out House of Blues in Los Angeles.

While most of the focus was on VR's first gig in four years with Scott Weiland, an eclectic and impressive array of talent built up to the headlining set. Among the early highlights were local favorites Fishbone, who gave way to Tom Morello, a.k.a. the Nightwatchman. Backed by his band, Morello brought it in his three songs, from an instrumental version of Rage Against the Machine's "Testify" that had all heads bobbing to his cover of Bruce Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad," which had the crowd playing air guitar. Before the song, Morello spoke of how O'Brien's spirit was in the room.

During a fan-favorite, three-song set that included "Sunday Morning," Maroon 5 also remembered O'Brien, crediting him as a big part of their success.

Stephen Stills, joining Sheryl Crow for four songs, used his time on stage to honor another group, dedicating his rendition of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" to "the 99 percent." Stills also rocked on a sterling "Love the One You're With," while Crow delivered raucous versions of "If It Makes You Happy" and "Everyday Is a Winding Road."

But when Weiland, Slash, Duff McKagan, Kushner and Matt Sorum took the stage together at 11:37, it was clear that the vast majority, if not all, were on hand to see the reunited supergroup. Opening with "Sucker Train Blues," the band sounded in fine form. Weiland thanked the crowd for coming and called the show "sad, but sweet too," as he recalled a show he and Sorum did for Weiland's late brother, Michael.

The singer sent out good wishes to O'Brien's family before the band picked up steam again with "She Builds Quick Machines." They continued the momentum with "Slither," then wrapped up on a quieter note with their cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

As Kushner told us last week, the idea was just to get through the night, which the band did seamlessly. Though a lot of people this morning noticed a message on the band's website that said "New Velvet Revolver coming," that message has been there for some time. According to band reps, the group has no comment on any further collaboration at this time.

Read more: http://www.rollingst...3#ixzz1jXAPf7aG

Checked the Youtube vids...

mmmh

I don't know, I used to think that Scott Weiland had some kind of thing going on that made him a great frontman but this show looked like nothing more than a rehearsal because he's clearly overshadowed by everyone else in the band...He looks and sounds like a random nobody from the audience while the rest of the band looks and sounds great.

As much as it wouldn't be VR without him, maybe they would be better off with another singer...

Or maybe it's just because it's their first performance in five years. :shrugs2:

Checked the Youtube vids...

mmmh

I don't know, I used to think that Scott Weiland had some kind of thing going on that made him a great frontman but this show looked like nothing more than a rehearsal because he's clearly overshadowed by everyone else in the band...He looks and sounds like a random nobody from the audience while the rest of the band looks and sounds great.

As much as it wouldn't be VR without him, maybe they would be better off with another singer...

Or maybe it's just because it's their first performance in five years. :shrugs2:

That is what I was saying....it was great to see them playing again together for a one off but Scott's performance was very weak IMHO....So anyone who saw STP recently how was Scott's performance with them?