sleeper

VR to perform with Scott

26 posts in this topic

If it had been a year ago i'd be pumped up. Now I'm like "meh"... With all the stuff that 's been going on, i couldn't be less of exited.

Edited by Mr.Stradlin

"Get in the ring. Go to the gym, motherfucker, or if you prefer, get a new wig, motherfucker. I think I'll resist the urge to 'stoop' to your level. Oh shit, here it comes, you fat, botox-faced, wig-wearin' fuck! O.K., I feel better now.

"Don’t think for a second we don't know where those words came from. Your unoriginal, uncreative little mind — the same mind that had to rely on its bandmates to write melodies and lyrics. Who's the fraud now, bitch?

"Damn, I couldn't imagine people writing for me. How many albums have you put out, man, and how long did it take the current configuration of this so-called 'band' to make this album? How long? And without the only guys that validated the name.

"How dare you! Shame on you! How dare you call our bass player 'spineless?' We toured our album over a year and a half. How many shows have you played over the last ten years? Oh, that's right — you bailed out on your long-awaited comeback tour, leaving your remaining fans feeling, shall we say, a trifle miffed?! I won't even list what I've accomplished because I don't need to. What we're talking about here is a frightened little man who once thought he was king, but unfortunately this king without his court is nothing but a memory of the asshole he once was."

hfJlT.gif

lolrp.gif

Edited by Coltrane

Cool news, hope there'll be some good videos from this.

And you never know what this can lead too. I'd love to see them do another album with Scott, especially if it's something like contraband.

I saw VR before Contraband was released at the Electric Factory in Philadlephia. It was awesome. I then saw them in Atlantic City and then at the Spectrum. All great shows. Slash's stage presence is unbelievable.

Am i the only one, who doesn't like Weiland (a stupid junkie waste of space) as a singer in VR?

i like him in STP, but be honest: he doesn't fit with Slash and Duff.

Am i the only one, who doesn't like Weiland (a stupid junkie waste of space) as a singer in VR?

I agree.

I agree.

I have been saying that all along...............he is like Axl in that he does not want to play Slash's type of music.................that being said Contraband is an incredible album and Libertad is underrated IMHO........

I agree.

I have been saying that all along...............he is like Axl in that he does not want to play Slash's type of music.................that being said Contraband is an incredible album and Libertad is underrated IMHO........

hmmm.. what do you mean? Axl has been playing Slash's music (riffs songs etc) for years now live with a few shots of chinese democracy. Libertad has some cool tunes but Contraband is really powerful. And I've seen VR live, the energy was incredible. Awesome rock band. 10x better than Slash's solo band. Aahh... good times.

I agree.

hmmm.. what do you mean? Axl has been playing Slash's music (riffs songs etc) for years now live with a few shots of chinese democracy. Libertad has some cool tunes but Contraband is really powerful. And I've seen VR live, the energy was incredible. Awesome rock band. 10x better than Slash's solo band. Aahh... good times.

In his book Scott said that when he was recruited for VR he rejected the first batch of songs given to him as sounding too much like Bad Company. One of those songs was Ghost from Slash's solo album which is a damn good rocker.

Slash and Duff submited another batch of songs to Scott and he thought some were interesting so he wrote lyrics for them but had little input on the instrumental content.

When Libertad was written Slash said in an interview that Scott had a lot of input and IMHO it shows as it is more a Scott album which tanked. Don't get me wrong I like it but it was a dismal commercial failure.

Scott, like Axl, is on a different wavelength then Slash regarding musical direction. All you have to do is listen to recent STP albums and Scotts solo stuff.

Considering Slash's solo album I think you need to wait until his album with Myles comes out as that will be a better guage of the music as his solo album was a vanity album where he wrote all the music himself.

I have seen VR live also and agree they were an excellent band but I also seen Slash's current band live and have all the instant live albums and a lot of live video from his solo tour and that is also an excellent band which puts on a hell of a show.

IMHO I just don't think Scott is the right singer for VR and that they caught lightening in a bottle with Contraband much like Guns did with AFD.....I agree with bad Apple in this one................

it would be great if VR found the right songer and put out a kick ass album but I would be just as happy if Slash and Myles continued to put out music with the current solo band as they are very talented and sound great togther............

good post. I don't find Scott to be the perfect match for Slash and co either.

The best singer for VR would be Chris Cornell for me. Slash's song with Chris was not the best song in the world apparently, but I'm sure they could do real big stuff together. GNR level stuff.

Rolling Stone Exclusive: The Reason Behind Velvet Revolver's One-Night Reunion

Guitarist Dave Kushner got the group back together to honor his late best friend

by: Steve Baltin

f3717c6ae7f3fddab435cf600014e7c6c8ec19dd.jpg

Duff McKagan, Slash, Scott Weiland, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner of Velvet Revolver in London. (Nigel Crane/Redferns)

When Velvet Revolver – Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland – reunite for one show next Thursday at L.A.'s House Of Blues, it will be the result of Kushner. The band's guitarist brought the group back together to honor his best friend, musician John O'Brien, who was found dead at the age of 45 in his Chicago hotel room last August.

"I found out he passed away on August 20, and it was like out of nowhere," Kushner exclusively tells Rolling Stone. "Next day I was in shock and my wife said to me, 'You gotta have a benefit concert for his wife and you have to get Velvet Revolver back together.' That’s how it started."

He then approached the different band members. "We did a benefit show for this thing called Road Recovery – me, Duff, Slash and Matt – in New York, and that’s when I asked those guys individually if they would agree to do it," Kushner says. "Once they said so then I got in touch with Scott, and he agreed."

Kushner says the response was almost instantaneous from everyone, something he attributes to how loved O'Brien – a childhood friend of Kushner's – was in the industry. "[John] was just like a teddy bear. He was the most talented, softest, sweetest, most generous person I’d ever met. He was the brother I never had, and everyone knew him," he says. "I’ve known Scott for 22, 23, 24 years. So he’s known John since then, Duff and John had an amazing relationship, and Matt knew him too."

The concert will also feature Maroon 5, Sheryl Crow, Tom Morello, an appearance from Stephen Stills and more. That will take the pressure off all of the bands, including Velvet. "Because we hadn’t played with Scott in a long time I said, 'Look, let’s just do three songs.' It’s not too much of a commitment," he says. "So we just got a bunch of people, everyone will do three songs."

Kushner is well aware though that everyone will be watching the first time in four years that Weiland performs with the group. "I knew from the beginning it would be newsworthy, and that was kind of the plan," Kushner says. "If you’re gonna do this, you want to raise some serious money, then put all caution aside and say, 'Hey, will you do this?'"

All of the proceeds from the benefit will go to O'Brien's wife and family. "Unfortunately, John didn’t have life insurance at the time and he left behind a wife that's pregnant and a four-year-old son. That to me is the main focus of why I’m doing this," Kushner says. "I’m doing it so that this sells out and that money can go to her, period."

Although the guitarist is focused solely on next Thursday's gig, he understands that others are interested in what the future might hold for Velvet Revolver, but the five of them are taking a cautious approach to any further reunions. "We haven’t played together in four years, and so we’re really just like, 'Let’s see how this goes,'" he says.

And if Thursday's show does go well? "I know everyone’s got other commitments, but I think everyone’s like, 'Let’s get this thing done and get through this and then we’ll see.'”

eb80e3e6bbab94361ab5f328ff706e5766360738.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-the-reason-behind-velvet-revolvers-one-night-reunion-20120106

Stp, VR, nuguns and Real guns...

That would be a killer concert!

A reunited VR makes me wonder about what Axl will do at the hall of fame...

Will VR do some guns stuff like they did for Van Halen?